Question about re-entry permit - govt. contract

harvydonald

Registered Users (C)
A friend of mine who has a Green Card since mid 2003 is going to out of the country for 18 months. His employer is sending him on a DOD (Naval) contract. He may of may not come back to US during the 18 month period. He has been given certain amount of money to come back few times for short vacations. He may pocket the money and not use it for travel.

Since he is on a DOD contract, does he need to file for a re-entry permit?Does he need N-470 to preserve his residency?

I personally think he should get both, I wanted to get your opinion on that.

harvydonald said:
A friend of mine who has a Green Card since mid 2003 is going to out of the country for 18 months. His employer is sending him on a DOD (Naval) contract. He may of may not come back to US during the 18 month period. He has been given certain amount of money to come back few times for short vacations. He may pocket the money and not use it for travel.

Since he is on a DOD contract, does he need to file for a re-entry permit?Does he need N-470 to preserve his residency?

I personally think he should get both, I wanted to get your opinion on that.
The folks here are focused no discussion around Naturalization application. So, you can't expect to get a lot of responses here. You may try the Life After The Green Card forum instead.

Yes, he will absolutely need to get an I-131 reentry permit, and since its a govt contract, he should also try to get an N-470 application to preserve residency for naturalization.