Question about PERM/Sponsorship Questionnaire

mmh44

Hello,

After a PERM case has been applied,the employer gets a sponsorship email questionnaire. If the employer answers any of the questions incorrectly in this questionnaire, does DOL still send an email stating that, "The answers to the questionnaire have been received and now the processing will begin"?

If the answers are incorrect, does the status in the DOL website change to "Denied" and a letter is sent in the mail by DOL to the employer?

I am asking these questions because, my employer applied for my PERM on Sep 10, 2009 and we have not received any reply. As of yesterday, my employer told me the status on the DOL website says, "In Process". Also, they did receive an email from DOL in the following days after Sept 10, 2009 stating that, " the answers to the questionnaire has been received and the case will now be processed..".

If by some reason, the employer answered any of the questions in the Sponsorship questionnaire incorrectly and we still get the confirmatory email from DOL and the DOL website still says "In process", we have no way of knowing if the application was rejected due to the wrong answers.

The employer has not received any letter in the mail. Before I ask them for a formal query by a Congressman(direct employer queries simply result in an automated response from DOL), I thought I would ask the above question in this forum. Obviously, asking the employer how they answered the sponsorship questionnaire would be the best way. Unfortunately, I cannot do that as that is confidential information they are not willing to share.

Kindly let me know.

Thanks a lot!!
mmh44

The employer must respond "yes" to all of the questions in the questionnaire, as they confirm basic information that has been submitted with the ETA 9089 forms, such as "is the position being offered to (X person)?" etc. From my experience I do not know if the employer will receive that generic "we received your questionnaire" email whether or not any answers were correct/incorrect.

Hello st4rguitar,

Thanks a lot for your reply!! I checked back at your reply only a couple of days ago!

If possible, would you mind answering my questions about PERM?

As mentioned before, my PERM was filed on Sep 10, 2009. Today, my employer showed me the status of the application on the DOL website as As"In Process".

Further, they have not received any mail as far as audits are concerned.

My questions:

a)My PERM application had qualifications of MS in Computer Science + 0 years of experience. No alternate major was acceptable. No equivalent combination of experience and education was acceptable. Plus, the qualifications were more than the O'NET requirements. Is all this causing extra scrutiny and will surely result in an audit?

b)Any other reasons for the delay?

c)If my employer contacts the local Congressman to get a status update, will the DOL oblige with at least a response?

Thanks a lot for reading my long message and for your advise!!!!

Regards,
mmh44

Hello st4rguitar,

a)My PERM application had qualifications of MS in Computer Science + 0 years of experience. No alternate major was acceptable. No equivalent combination of experience and education was acceptable. Plus, the qualifications were more than the O'NET requirements. Is all this causing extra scrutiny and will surely result in an audit?

b)Any other reasons for the delay?

c)If my employer contacts the local Congressman to get a status update, will the DOL oblige with at least a response?

Thanks a lot for reading my long message and for your advise!!!!

Regards,
mmh44

the DOL us currently processing cases dated October 2009. Since you filed in September, you're just out of their windows, and technically should get an answer shortly. If you get audited (join the club), you have another 1-2 years of wait.