Question about Medical Examine

orono

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have a question about Tuberculosis. Is the X-ray examination required for employee-based applicant? The docotor said that I should do the skin test first. If the skin test is positive, then the X-ray exam is required.

However, the instructions of Form I-693 (Rev. 04/25/02) state that: "One of the conditions you will be tested for is tuberculosis. If you are 15 years of age or older, you will be required to have a chest X-ray examination. Exception: If you are pregnant or applying for adjustment of status under the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, you may choose to have either a chest X-ray or a tuberculin skin test."

What did you do for your Tuberculosis test? Eager to get your answer..

Thanks

Orono

I only did the skin test.
The old instruction was: you will need the X-ray if the skin test turns positive. Looks like this has changed ...

Hi Orono

Hi Orono,

The skin test for TB is done routinely as per I-485 medical requirements.
After getting the skin test done, you have to go back to the doctor and if the swelling in the place of injection is more than 4 mm, then the doctor will ask you to take the Chest X-ray to confirm if there is TB in reality. Else if the swelling is not there , X-Ray is not needed.
The reason the swelling may take place is because --

1. You might have had TB before.

2. You might be having TB now.

3. You might have taken some vaccination (like DPT) in childhood.

So, the doctor will not give you a clearance until the chest X-Ray is clean.

This has nothing to do with what is written in the I-485 form.

Thanks.