• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Question about city of birth on entry form? Aussies please help!

america101

Registered Users (C)
Hey everyone,

Does anybody know what I should put as my birth city? Both my birth certificate and passport say SOUTH BRISBANE as place of birth but on the DV entry it says to put the city.... so would I just put BRISBANE? I googled South Brisbane and it is described as a "suburb of Brisbane". :confused: I'm not sure which one to use

You have to put whatever is on your passport - exactly. I always thought I was born in Newcastle, but it was a suburb of Newcastle. So, the suburb it is! That's what is on my passport, so that's what I put on my application.

:)

All the best!

Q

Thank you Qewty and Tazmania! I will put South Brisbane in the entry :) By any chance, do you know if you are meant to type in capitals on the entry form? I've been looking through the rules but can't seem to find anything on it.

Yes Q and Tazmania are both correct! What Australians know as 'cities' are actually metropolitan areas, divided up into smaller cities. For example in the Sydney metropolitan area there is the City of Sydney (downtown Sydney), the City of Parramatta, City of Penrith, City of Bankstown, City of Liverpool, City of ...

Australians need to be careful of this because we don't usually think of cities in this way, unlike Americans. For example if you ask an Australian from Sydney where they live, they will say Sydney no matter what part of Sydney they are from, whereas if you ask an American from Los Angeles where they live, they will say Long Beach or Irvine or something (which are cities that make up the LA area). Also, not all suburbs are cities, some suburbs come under the jurisdiction of larger, nearby suburbs which are cities. I made this mistake on my DV 2014 entry. Luckily I learned my mistake in time for DV 2015.

The correct information to enter is listed under 'Place of birth' in the Australian passport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Q and Tazmania are both correct! What Australians know as 'cities' are actually metropolitan areas, divided up into smaller cities. For example in the Sydney metropolitan area there is the City of Sydney (downtown Sydney), the City of Parramatta, City of Penrith, City of Bankstown, City of Liverpool, City of ...

Australians needs to be careful of this because we don't usually think of cities in this way, unlike Americans. For example if you ask an Australian from Sydney where they live, they will say Sydney no matter what part of Sydney they are from, whereas if you ask an American from Los Angeles where they live, they will say Long Beach or Irvine or something (which are cities that make up the LA area). Also, not all suburbs are cities, some suburbs come under the jurisdiction of larger, nearby suburbs which are cities. I made this mistake on my DV 2014 entry. Luckily I learned my mistake in time for DV 2015.

The correct information to enter is listed under 'Place of birth' in the Australian passport.

Matt, you are kind of right about the American version of city - but not exactly right (and I am feeling picky this morning!) :)

LA is a city - but it is also part of the name for the LA metropolitan area - so the cities of Long Beach and Irvine are cities on the same level as Los Angeles BUT all three are in the LA metro area (officially the "Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_metropolitan_area

Matt, you are kind of right about the American version of city - but not exactly right (and I am feeling picky this morning!) :)

LA is a city - but it is also part of the name for the LA metropolitan area - so the cities of Long Beach and Irvine are cities on the same level as Los Angeles BUT all three are in the LA metro area (officially the "Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_metropolitan_area

That is exactly what I meant. I thought that's the way I made it sound in my explanation (combined the cities make up the metropolitan area, although one city assumes the name for the whole area).

That is exactly what I meant. I thought that's the way I made it sound in my explanation (combined the cities make up the metropolitan area, although one city assumes the name for the whole area).

Yeah you did - it just sounded like you meant that was what the Australian version was like - and it seems really they are both the same...