Question about AP

thundering

Registered Users (C)
Hi, All:

I am a newbie here :) and very glad to know this place exists. A lot of information here is so valuable. Thanks to the people who have done so much to help others.

I just sent out my package (I-130, I-485, I-131 all together) last Friday so my journey of getting the GC starts. I have a concern that bothers me a lot. My wife and I need to travel out of the US in August. In fact, exactly August 10 since we already bought the air tickets. I am a little worried about when I can actually get the AP approved. As long as it's before our departure, it's fine for us. But what if not? Can I go to the local office on InfoPass to try get an emergency AP right before we leave if it does not show up before then? Do I need to have at least 90 days from the RD to be able to do so? If that's the case, that will really leave me almost no time.

Thanks in advance for any of your information.

thundering said:
Hi, All:

I am a newbie here :) and very glad to know this place exists. A lot of information here is so valuable. Thanks to the people who have done so much to help others.

I just sent out my package (I-130, I-485, I-131 all together) last Friday so my journey of getting the GC starts. I have a concern that bothers me a lot. My wife and I need to travel out of the US in August. In fact, exactly August 10 since we already bought the air tickets. I am a little worried about when I can actually get the AP approved. As long as it's before our departure, it's fine for us. But what if not? Can I go to the local office on InfoPass to try get an emergency AP right before we leave if it does not show up before then? Do I need to have at least 90 days from the RD to be able to do so? If that's the case, that will really leave me almost no time.

Thanks in advance for any of your information.

There is no 90 day waiting for getting AP from DO. If you can prove your emergency, you can get AP the same day. As far as i have seen here, AP gets approved in 45-90 days from the RD.

You should (provided everthing was submitted and accepted as complete) get your AP in about 2 months from your RD.

I have a similar situation, and calling USCIS gave me this info- if you need to go out of the country for a bonafide emergency, you will need proof but can obtain an early AP using InfoPass to get the appointment for your local CO.

Good luck

AND even if the time came up and you do not get the AP on time, please remember that it wise not to leave the country without your travel document.

Good luck,

Re:

From the replies I guess what is important here is what USCIS considers as "bonafide emergency". For us, yes! - we paid more than $2k for air tickets and everything has been arranged for our travel abroad. But you never know what they are gonna tell you. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. We'll have our fingers crossed.

I don't believe That is considered an emergency. They mean medical emergency of a close relative (and you'll need proof for that as well) and things similar to this. I am still waiting for my travel documents, It's been about two months since they received my paper work.... Good luck

Agreed, I called just to refresh my memory. The answer was clear - you CAN get an immediate AP using infopass, but ONLY for a life or death emergency.

PS, mt wife has not received her AP yet.

You should be getting it anytime now especially if you didn't have any RFEs. It took me exactly 2 months from the ND. I think you are safe since you are travelling only in August. Do keep us posted.