Question about AOS interview

Flyer729

Registered Users (C)
I just received my appointment letter in the mail. It will be in a month so I am getting everything ready as soon as possible. With my application I submitted the affidavit of support with all the required documentation. I had to use a co-sponsor because my wife did not meet the requirements. On the interview letter asks me to bring tax returns and W-2s (unless submitted before). The tax returns I have are from the time I filed (1 year ago), so they are from 2004,2003,2002. Do I have to show my co-sponsor's latest tax returns at the interview or just bring copies of the ones filed with my application. Also, do they ask about employer's letters or are pay check stubs enough?

Yes, take the sponsor's and joint sponsor's latest tax transcripts (2005), latest paystubs & letter of employment.

Hi all,

I know i might be asking a dumb question...but are tax transcripts different from tax returns. If yes where should i get them??

Mailed (I-485/I-130/1-765/I-131) on 3rd April, 2006
RD – 4th April, 06
ND – 7th April, 06
Checks Cashed – 10th April, 06
NOA Received in mail - 11th April, 06
FP - 27th April, 06

cyber256 said:
Hi all,

I know i might be asking a dumb question...but are tax transcripts different from tax returns. If yes where should i get them??

RD – 4th April, 06
ND – 7th April, 06
FP - 27th April, 06

Yes, both are different. You should call IRS to get the tax transcript. They usually send it in a week
http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=110571,00.html

I checked that link and it says that tax transcripts are just copy of the tax returns you filed.

So do i really need them for the interview? Will a copy of my tax returns as i filed be OK???

RD – 4th April, 06
ND – 7th April, 06
FP - 27th April, 06

There are two things - Copy of your tax returns - these come at a cost of $39 each and take upto 60 days to get... you can order a copy of your tax return of any recent 6 years. The other thing (the one Ari's pointing to) is Tax Transcript (which you can call uhmm summary of your tax return)- you can order tax transcript for upto 10 recent years without any cost. It takes 10-15 days to get them. You can call 1-800-829-1040 and follow the instructions to order your Tax Transcript(s) using their automated system.

You will need the tax transcript/tax returns during the interview as these are invariably asked for... if you already have your tax returns of the past years, you don't necessarily need to order transcripts. But several people (which includes me too) have an opinion that tax transcripts are better than tax returns, as these come from IRS, in contrast to your tax return that can be prepared at home and doesn't prove that you actually submitted it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi a_usc,

Another dumb question related to your input - When I request the tax transcripts - through the link mentioned - only gets transcripts for Federal.

Is there any similar facility for getting the State transcripts or is it that the Federal transcripts are the imp one between the two.

Plz let me know on this.

PS: I had no idea that they were 2 different things (tax returns, tax transcripts). Thanks for sharing his info.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I also had a question about photo's I don't have any from our ceremony ( we were married at city hall) and no one took photo's ( I know that was dumb) and we don't really have any photos of us with family but were going to take some before our we have to go to our interview... So my question is do photo's have a lot of weight on the outcome of a interview?

In my opinion (and according my experience) the most important are documents with both your names. Any asstets, any contracts, any insurance, any bills... every paper which shows your both names.
Pictures are the background.
Good luck

dula said:
In my opinion (and according my experience) the most important are documents with both your names. Any asstets, any contracts, any insurance, any bills... every paper which shows your both names.
Pictures are the background.
Good luck

Thanks....Well all our bills are in both names, bank statements, credit cards, taxes, etc; and my family and three of my friends are going to write affidavits for us. The only think that we are lacking are photos. That's the only thing I am worried about, that's why I wanted to know how significant they are. We are planning on taking some and just bringing those hopefully that will work out.

shahpr787 said:
Hi a_usc,

Another dumb question related to your input - When I request the tax transcripts - through the link mentioned - only gets transcripts for Federal.

Is there any similar facility for getting the State transcripts or is it that the Federal transcripts are the imp one between the two.

Plz let me know on this.

PS: I had no idea that they were 2 different things (tax returns, tax transcripts). Thanks for sharing his info.

Thanks

Glad to be of help :) You will need only your federal tax transcripts... don't worry about the state tax!

Caligirl415 said:
I also had a question about photo's I don't have any from our ceremony ( we were married at city hall) and no one took photo's ( I know that was dumb) and we don't really have any photos of us with family but were going to take some before our we have to go to our interview... So my question is do photo's have a lot of weight on the outcome of a interview?

Yes, photos are important. Sometimes the officer asks for photos, sometimes they dont. I dont think you would like the situation where the officer would want to look at your pictures and you have none to show... Dont waste time, start clicking right away and collect as many pics as you can :)

Caligirl415 said:
Thanks....Well all our bills are in both names, bank statements, credit cards, taxes, etc; and my family and three of my friends are going to write affidavits for us. The only think that we are lacking are photos. That's the only thing I am worried about, that's why I wanted to know how significant they are. We are planning on taking some and just bringing those hopefully that will work out.

When it comes to collect the evidence for the AOS interview, there is no limit to the amount of evidence people may try to bring... the underlying cause for this is 'you never know what they may ask for'. Since the interview is a 'prove or else...' deal, every one tries to take whatever evidence possible to prove their case. I've read people taking their telephone records/letter, etc to prove their relationship before marriage and a lot of other 'after marriage' stuff. Not everything an applicant takes is asked for, but its better to have it and not get asked for, rather than not having it. Some cases I have read, the adjudicating officer was not interested in pictures (like the latest interview experience shared by njoshi18 in the AOS Interview Timeline thread) and some cases - not only did the officer see all the pics, but kept some for the record.

Thus, though not mandated - it may be helpful to bring whatever pics you may have that prove your life together with your spouse. Good Luck!