Pursuing education, and hope for a better future

gamebot69

Hello my name is George,
I’m originally from the Russian federation, after living in United States about 13 years without any documents, I finally got my DACA in august. I currently have a SS card, and a Drivers permit. I have the right to be here legally until august 2015. I have been married to a US citizen since 2009, and have 2 children. I would really like to pursue getting my green card through education and like to go to college. I have several questions to somebody who ether has experienced same issues I had, or an immigration professional. I have several professions in mind, BUT I have not made any decisions yet. If I go and pursue basic education, I’m not sure what it’s called, but it has basic English math and science, will I be able to apply for a green card, and how? What would be the best steps? I also have an alternative of doing it through the marriage, but it cost several thousands of dollars, and I would rather invest in myself getting an education, rather than paying for that. Please give me some insight on that.
Thank you

George,

The cost to adjust status is in the thousands of dollars regardless to the avenue you take. You will not get away from paying the official I-485 fee of $1070.

There is no such thing as GC through education, most people get it through employment-based or family-sponsored petitions. The cost for an employment-based petition is far higher than a family-sponsored one, because you cannot do it without a lawyer, as it involves complicated PERM process with the department of labor.

If you're willing to invest time in learning the process, you can do a family-sponsored petition yourself, without paying for a lawyer.

As Hexa said, your best option is to apply for a marriage based green card, and if you entered the United States legally meaning with a valid visa after getting a stamp in your passport at the airport, you will be approved, obviously as long as you do the paperwork correctly and are otherwise eligible. If you entered the US illegally, things get a bit tricky, because you will be required to travel to your native country for an interview and may get a ban there, but since you have two children, you can file the USCIS form I601A showing that a long separation from your family will be very difficult on your US citizen family. The paperwork may look intimidating but if you are methodical and willing to do the hard work of completing it yourself by using the resources available on the Internet, you can do it yourself.

I entered legally, when i was applying for DACA, i read somewhere what i cannot find anymore, if i go back to school i will get a green card. I will need to show proof to DACA program. Does anybody else have experience with this?

I entered legally, when i was applying for DACA, i read somewhere what i cannot find anymore, if i go back to school i will get a green card. I will need to show proof to DACA program. Does anybody else have experience with this?

You are mistaken. There was something called the DREAM act that didn't pass. Even if the DREAM act passes, you still won't escape paying $1070 for I-485, and several hundred dollars for the petition form.

For family-sponsored green card you need I-130, I-864, I-693, and I-485. There might be a couple of others, you need to read the instructions to be sure.

For family-sponsored green card you need I-130, I-864, I-693, and I-485. There might be a couple of others, you need to read the instructions to be sure.

I already have the I-130 approved and passed, i knew that i had to file I-693, and I-485, but what is I-864?

I already have the I-130 approved and passed, i knew that i had to file I-693, and I-485, but what is I-864?
I-864 is the affidavit of support that usually goes along with I-130. Since your I-130 has been approved, it's just I-693 and I-485 for you.

Over the last two decades, advances in information and communication technologies (ICTs) have contributed to the ideological construct of an emerging "knowledge society"--one which places a high value on knowledge and education and promises a better future for humanity.