Psychological toll of waiting too long for the GC

shamshon

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,
I am really impressed by the courageous spirits of everyone of you. So far, our forum has been an information exchange outlet, and I think we have developed a bond that united us. I wonder if we can take a chance of our newly formed bond and share our feelings about being mistreated by the INS for so many years. I want to invite everyone to talk about what it means to be an asylee who is both welcomed to and shunned by the greatest country of the world. I want to invite you to share with us what this meant for you and for your loved ones. I know it was hard for me to live 10 years waiting and waiting. I was not secured about my new residency in America. The immigration judge apologized for the long wait but she did not know that I would have to wait for 5 more years and may be more (until the congress approve the new visa numbers). Please feel free to share with us and tell us about your experiences. Tell us what it meant to have your life on hold for 10 or so years. Tell us what it means to be under the mercy of constantly changing laws that are sponsored by radical politicians who have nothing but disdain for immigrants. You do not have to do that but I think it helped me a lot to talk to someone about my misfortune with the INS. Thanks
Shamshoun

good idea

shamshon,

I think that is a good idea. Why don't you start the conversation first and I would be happy to join in.

here is my 2 cents

Ok then let me start. Let us see where to begin. Ok, I applied for political asylum in 1992. I never received an interview notice until I contacted my senator. 2 weeks after his response to me, I was granted an interview. This was in 1996. The interviewer was such a loser who I think did not even finish his high school. She actually could not pronounce the name of my country. She also showed huge ignorance about the issues related to my country. I am still puzzled by the superficiality of that woman. Luckily, she referred me to a conscientious judge who was able to grant me asylum. This was in 1997 and I waited another year so that I can apply for my green card. Now we are at the end of 2002 and it has been 10 years since I arrived here. I can not say that I live or ever lived the American dream. Despite having a great house, a nice car and a very advanced degree, I still feel homeless. There is a pervasive sense of rejection that I have been experiencing since I came to America. The implicit message is: You are welcomed but not really!!! I love this country so much but I feel that it never accepted me. I pay taxes and I want to defend the flag but I just can not do it because technically I am residing here temporarily. I feel that this has affected my relationships too. I did not get married because I was not sure if I would be allowed to live in this country. I was also stuck. I could not travel until 1997 and missed many conferences that would have promoted my professional development. I had to go through hell to find job at first and the schools wanted more verification about my status because they wanted to charge me as an international student. It was a bad period for me. These last 10 years have been challenging my ability to trust and to feel safe here. Iw will say more if you are not bored.

so poor shamsham!
Obviously that they treat us unfair!!
actually the first emigration, who came to this new continent, wanted to escape from their previous country!
their behavior just breach the constitution!~!
they can't treat us!!!we have to do sth!!

Originally posted by kelvin2088
so poor shamsham!
Obviously that they treat us unfair!!
actually the first emigration, who came to this new continent, wanted to escape from their previous country!
their behavior just breach the constitution!~!
they can't treat us!!!we have to do sth!!
Do not beat around the bush they teach in my country that the first immigrants who came here from Europe were criminals, political refugees and of course green pasture lookers etc just like current immigrants.

This topic is so difficult. The reason is that no one can relate to it, unless they are going through it or been through it.

The new dates that I read from the INS website are just down right depressing :

http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/nebraska/asyleeadj.htm

Date Received Timeframe to be Processed

June 10, 1998-Feb. 1, 1999 Oct. 1, 2002-Sept. 30, 2003
Feb. 2, 1999-Sept. 14, 1999 Oct. 1, 2003-Sept. 30, 2004
Sept. 15, 1999-Mar. 13, 2000 Oct. 1, 2004-Sept. 30, 2005
Mar. 14, 2000-Aug. 3, 2000 Oct. 1, 2005-Sept. 30, 2006
Aug. 4, 2000-Dec. 27, 2000 Oct. 1, 2006-Sept. 30, 2007
Dec. 28, 2000-Apr. 30, 2001 Oct. 1, 2007-Sept. 30, 2008
May 1, 2001-Aug. 16, 2001 Oct. 1, 2008-Sept. 30, 2009
Aug. 17, 2001-Nov. 26, 2001 Oct. 1, 2009-Sept. 30, 2010
Nov. 27, 2001-Feb. 20, 2002 Oct. 1, 2010-Sept. 30, 2011
Feb. 21, 2002-undetermined Oct. 1, 2011-Sept. 30, 2012

I do relate to this feeling of no belonging. Since our cases are so unique that not many people even in INS are aware of the situation and that is the reason of getting different answers for the same question we put up to different officials.

I can not comprehend why there is no limit on REFUGEES but there is a ceiling on adjusting Asylees. Backlog in this processing is quiet obvious from the above numbers. What is so sad about this whole thing is that for past few years the whole 10,000 was not even allotted to deserving people, which means more people getting backed up in the que. My impression of this above information from INS website is that INS officials are aware of the backlog but at the same time it is of no priority to clear this backlog. That has to be the only reason that they can predict numbers going into next decade.

I work and live here but my worry is that in this new society of heightened awareness, the documents that I have that will show my legitimacy will confuse the folks. I did read few days ago a statement by Attorney General of going over the files of all asylum seekers. I do hope that this does not mean further delay in processing .....

Questions are :

Does anyone has power to speed up the processing ?
if yes then who is that body of power?

Should we focus on that body of power with information about our plight and misery?

Have any efforts been done in past, Collectively ?
If yes then what was the results ??

Hopefully a course of action can be determined and executed from this discussion, which will assist us in obtaining the permanent residence status.

Best of luck to all who are my fellow waitees in the process :~

Originally posted by RAsylee

Questions are :

Does anyone has power to speed up the processing ?
if yes then who is that body of power?
**Only a new law can increase the quota. A new law needs to be passed by Congress and signed by the President**

Should we focus on that body of power with information about our plight and misery?
**Yes**

Have any efforts been done in past, Collectively ?
If yes then what was the results ??
**In 1990 doubled the quota from 5000 to 10000. It also allowed everone in the backlog then to adjust without regard to the quotas. **

Hopefully a course of action can be determined and executed from this discussion, which will assist us in obtaining the permanent residence status.

Originally posted by shamshon
Another course of action is lawsuit. There is actually a lawsuit filed by asylees accusing The INS and the Attorney General of failing to actually distribute the 10000 visas and of doing a half ass job with this whole process . Here is the link http://www.ailf.org/lac/2002/032102b.htm

No court can change the annual quota. Most legal persons think they cannot recover unused numbers either.

OK, just want to add my 2 cents.. Those who follow this forum for awhile knows, that I like to whine about our situation as much as anyone else (maybe even more). But I REFUSE to feel a victim.
I arrived in US in July 1992 with a bunch of friends. They all were refugees, I was the only one who had to apply for asylum. So while they were getting public assistance and going to the ESL classes and colleges on grants, I had to work for $4/hour and save on every cent to pay a lawyer. 10 years later, I am worrying over fingerprinting notice, and they all are citizen for at least last 3 years. And let me tell you something, any of them would change places with me in a second. Maybe making career, knowing that in our position you have to be twice as good as anyone else, is better than sitting in city college and getting shitty job.

I would agree with annv. There is nothing we can do, so fight on the other side. I succeeded like many other did not. And who cares, even if I have to leave this country and nothing works out, life is not that black. I got education and ideas ļ Everyone of us came from really shitty situations and just remember, it could be worst. So enjoy your life now, so you do not spend your 10 years of waiting in anguish and pain ļ

annv and nofreedom
I really admire your courage and resilience. However, I still sense anger and disappointment in your words. All what I want from this idea is for us to share our feelings so that we can get a closure. After all, it is so easy to "get over it" but are you really doing that? I feel that our anger at the system need to get out and not get in. It is so good to get over your needs to get angry but trust me it may be also harmful to do that! We live in a culture that disallows people to be angry even when they need to. anger is a human feeling that needs to be expressed. I chose to express my anger by writing. Peace

Oh man, this thread is getting better.
I know that is hard to come here from a different culture and start adapting to the "american way", I know that is better to have a GC, I know that the american system is not perfect, that the INS has strong structural problems, but come on is a great nation which gave us a hand when we needed.

What is the problem to have this status for 10 or more years, sooner or later you will become american citizen.

To me the most stressful part of this process, is to think that something is going to happen to my old parents, and I'm not going to be able to go to the funeral at least. To be honest that issue strongly affects me psycologically.

Besides that, I don't see any problem. My kids are bicultural, I'm growing up proffessionally talking, I feel safe and free, I'm going to be an American Citizen in the future.

By the way, I filed I485 March 2001.

Nice sharing with you.

:)

cokkiemonster
I totally agree with you. We are lucky to be in this country but the problem is that we are temporarily residing here and that brings a great deal of anxiety. Besides, I am not sure if you have been waiting 10 years like me because, trust me, it is tough. The big deal of being in this status for 10 years is the feeling of uncertainty that comes with it. I once heard a sage saying: "the misery of uncertainty is worse than the certainty of misery). Have you heard about Aschkroft latest remarks that the INS will go through the asylum files again. Can you imagine going through this process again after already spending 10 years dealing with it? I know I sound bitter sometimes but I am just too hurt by this.