Proof of Residence

maisflocon

Registered Users (C)
Due to family reasons I have had to cross the border to Canada quite frequently and stay there for a good period of time. Right now I am preparing some documents to show my intent to maintain residence in the States, and I just learned recently that a lease agreement would be important. I have lived in my current place since 2004 and has never stopped paying rent, however, because I rent it from a friend who owns the house, we never sign any rental agreement. Is it enough to get a letter from my friend (the landlord) stating that I have been a tenant between X and Y and I have been paying $N for rent?
Is that as good as a lease agreement? If not, is it too late to reinstate one now?

Due to family reasons I have had to cross the border to Canada quite frequently and stay there for a good period of time. Right now I am preparing some documents to show my intent to maintain residence in the States, and I just learned recently that a lease agreement would be important. I have lived in my current place since 2004 and has never stopped paying rent, however, because I rent it from a friend who owns the house, we never sign any rental agreement. Is it enough to get a letter from my friend (the landlord) stating that I have been a tenant between X and Y and I have been paying $N for rent?
Is that as good as a lease agreement? If not, is it too late to reinstate one now?

Yes, a letter on a nice letter head with your landlord's signature comfirming you have been his/her tenant since 2004. If that letter could be notarized that would be icing on the cake. You should be all set. Nothing to worry about. We have our interview in the morning for my wife's GC. Apart from the lease that has both our names on it, I requested my leasing manager to write a letter confirming that we have been staying in this apt property for that many year bla bla. She typed up a nice letter on the company's letter head and signed it at the bottom. This is what I will be taking to the interview.

This is a personal-owned property so there is no letterhead that I can get. Will that be ok? Let me know how your interview went and what documents they asked from you.

How much time have you been spending in Canada each year? Maybe it's not enough to cause you to have to prove anything.

A letter from your landlord, and some utility bills like gas/electric/cable/phone or bank statements or credit card statements mailed to your address should be a good enough proof that you maintained residence in the state.

Maintaining residence is not good enough just by itself. You have to be physically present in the country for a required number of days as a permanent resident to be eligible to file N400.

How much time have you been spending in Canada each year? Maybe it's not enough to cause you to have to prove anything.
I stayed up quite a bit...more than six months out of a year (in # of days total) in the past two years but I do come back once a month or once every few months (it's 3-hours drive one way). That said, I got no ties up there, and almost everything I have is here in the States, so I want to show that I do intend to maintain my residence even though I make those frequent trips and long stay.