Proof of citizenship after the Oath

fpettigrew

To those who have completed the process:

When you leave the oath ceremony do you have some proof of citizenship? Can you apply for a passport right there and then? How long does it take to process it?

Also, I have heard that sometimes the oath happens right after the interview. How can you find if this could the case?

Thanks a lot!

F.

fpettigrew said:

When you leave the oath ceremony do you have some proof of citizenship? Can you apply for a passport right there and then? How long does it take to process it?

Also, I have heard that sometimes the oath happens right after the interview. How can you find if this could the case?

Thanks a lot!

F.

in my case, the interview and oath ceremony happened the same day (baltimore DO). after the oath-taking, our naturalization certificate were given to us. so leaving the oath ceremony, we all had our naturalization certificate in hand which is the proof of one's citizenship. i applied for my passport at the nearest post-office and received my passport after 9 business days. i opted for the expedited service which is $60 more than the regular passport fee of $97. i was going to opt for overnight delivery just so i can receive my passport as soon as possible and the lady that was taking my application asked when i will be travelling. i told her not in the near future but would just like to receive my passport within 2 weeks. she said i didn't need to waste $28.80 for that because i will definitely get it in two weeks -- and i did!!! in 9 business days, to be exact.

fpettigrew said:

When you leave the oath ceremony do you have some proof of citizenship?

The Naturalization Certificate is your proof of citizenship.

Can you apply for a passport right there and then?

Depends, most of the Oath places have on the same place people who take the applications for passport.

How long does it take to process it?

Depends on what kind of service you prefer. It can take from one week to six weeks.

They will tell you at the interview ;)

Thanks a lot!

F.