process time for name change compare to regular application

keliz

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I filed my N-400 with a name change, however after i have read several posts in the forum i have realized there may be a delay due to the name change. i am just wondering how much longer does it take to process with the name change compare with those that does not require a name change?

i actually have shceduled an interview on July 12 in the USCIS philadelphia office. if i decided not to have a name change, would it be possible for me to tell the staffs and continue my application without a name change?

It would be best if someone can give me an estimated time on the oath after the interview. Thank you!

Name change requires judicial oath which maybe scheduled less often than regular oaths. The delays depend on your processing center ... check Philly threads. Regular oath times again vary from center to center.
You can always back out of name change up to the interview.

There won't be a delay for the interview because of the name change, but there may be a delay for the oath, depending on the schedule of judicial oaths in your district.

Some districts have all oaths as judicial oaths, so there would be no delay for a name change if you're in one of those areas. For the others where they have separate administrative oaths and judicial oaths, the delay for a judicial oath is generally around 1 to 3 months.

If the name change is taking your husband's last name, a judicial oath wouldn't be required so the name change won't cause a delay. Just show the marriage certificate and ask for the new name at the interview.

Note that if you change your name after the naturalization process through your local court system, that may take a couple of months and you will have to pay a fee (typically hundreds of dollars).

Thank you with the responses...

Name change requires judicial oath which maybe scheduled less often than regular oaths. The delays depend on your processing center ... check Philly threads. Regular oath times again vary from center to center.
You can always back out of name change up to the interview.

if i decided not to do a name change, is there a specific person i should report this to? do i inform him/her before the interview or after? and would it be possible for me to ask the staff where the name changed oath date will be before i decide to change my name or not?

You can just inform and move on.
You can also ask the impact and then decide.
There is no harm in being open and direct with the IO ... up to a point of course ... and they are usually helpful.