Procedure for Missed N400 Interview, Help !

sm0

Hi,

I had my N400 application filed at Memphis & Texas service center in March, 2001. I changed my address 2 months ago and informed the INS National service center of the same and received acknowledgement letter from them also about the address change.

However, I just got a certified letter from memphis INS office that I had missed my interview and so my application would be abandoned. This letter was still mailed to my old address. I suspect that they sent interview letter also to old address even though I had informed them of the change and even have the acknowledgement notice from INS.

Has anyone been through a similar situation or anyone could guide me about whats the best way to get things processed at the earliest.

Will appreciate your help.

To JoeF

JoeF,

Government mail never gets forwarded. I had to learn this the hard way. When I was a conditional resident, I moved while I was waiting for my plastic card. Of course the INS mailed it to my old address (although I changed my address with them). When I went to the local INS office to ask about the status of it they said that the government mail does NOT get forwarded to the new address and supposedly get sent back. They also gave me a list of addresses and application #s. The list basically gives you a separate mailing address for every case you have! Is that weird enough? So basically I got screwed with that. I am glad my permanent card just made it last week after making sure I change it with the right department at both the service center and at the local office.

No Title

I did inform post office for sure and am getting all my mail forwarded. As I said the notice that I had missed the interview was also sent to old address and it did get forwarded. Ofcourse the important letter of interview date didnt get forwarded (as my luck would have it !@) ..

I surely plan to visit the local INS office

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone has been in similar situation and could tell me how much time I loose or if I could do anything in particular to expedite this matter.

Thanks.

I can understand your predicament....

...as I am in a similar but slightly better situation. As I have posted in another thread, I know my interview date in July but I have not got the letter yet. My wife\'s letter went back to the CSC and they mailed the letter to our new address along with the previous envelope to our old address which showed our new address there! Prompted by her letter, I called up CSC and learnt that my interview is also scheduled on the same date as hers. It has been more than two weeks since my wife got her letter. I am waiting eagerly for my letter to arrive but don\'t know what to do if doesn\'t make it.