Problems with IAP-66(Help!)

Isabel Zandarin

I want to thank who might take time to read my post.
I lost my IAP-66. I have called to the AIPT to request the copy of it. I need to apply for a waiver since I am married to an USC. It's been 3 years total outside of the USA. We married while I was a student (F-1 visa) I spent 6 months in the USA holding that visa. We left the USA right after marriage. We live currently in France. I am a Venezuelan citizen and I am subject to the 2 year HRR, which I heve not fulfill. My problem is that the people who sponsed me need my IAP-66 (copy) to give me the a no objection statement that I need in case of not having the pink copy.These people don't know what I am asking for. If I don't have it they refuse to give me any paper to start to process my waiver. I called the hotel where I did my intership for 16 months (I left two months before my visa expired)and they can possibly find the a fotocopy of my lost pink copy. I am really worried. :confused: Any input is very much valuable... How can I apply for a waiver without the famous pink copy I have lost(my responsability)Do have to go back to Venezuela and fulfill requeriment>> One last thing I did not get any funds either from Venezuela nor from the USA goverment.
IZ:(

There are two issues (A and B) here.

A: If I understood you right, you probably don't need a waiver. You did not stay in Venezuela but stayed in France for 3 years instead of in home country for two years. Your stay in France was because of your relocating to your husband's palce. Is your husband a French national in addition to being a USC? Did you get French citizenship because of marriage? If you got French citizenship and abandoned your Venezuelan citizenship, then you don't need a waiver. If this is not the case, I guess if you show proof of 3-year stay in France and marriage, may be they won't mind because your returning to your home country after marrying a USC would have cause extreme hardship to the USC (your husband). And, marrying to a non-venezuelan citizen affected your place of permanent residence. Again, I am not sure whether this will work as this is a tricky issue and I am NOT an immigration expert.

B: If you need a waiver and copy of IAP-66 for getting a "no objection certificate," I think your sponsor (hotel) should be able to provide you a copy of your IAP-66.

If it does not work, here are my suggestions as last resort (I am not sure whether these will work):

1. Obtain a letter from your sponsor saying that you were on J-1 visa during specific period.

2. Make a sworn-in affidavit saying that you were on J-1 visa during a specific period and that you lost pink copy of IAP-66.

I am not sure whether the above will work for the authority you are dealing with in order to get their "No Objection Certificate." Think carefully if you could recollect where you could have sumbitted copies of IAP-66 in past. If you could remember, you can obtain copy of that copy (!) from them.

This is why I hate bureaucracy - need for plethora of (often) non-sensical documents take precedence over common sense!

Best wishes and good luck with your efforts,

Jigesh

Disclaimer: Personal non-legal point of view only.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get a copy of your IAP-66 by writing the
exchange visitor sponsorship program at
P.O. Box 41673
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19101-1673
telephone number is 215-823-2121

Hi,

I would need your advise on that please.

I came to the US in 2001 on a J-1 (reciprocal exchange with my home university in Europe) and the US university.
The J-1 stamps state “NOT SUBJECT TO”
The initial IAP66 with which I first entered clearly shows that there were no US/foreign gov. financing involved, the US school (the program sponsor starting with P-XXX-XXX) covered $14,000 and I covered the rest with personal funds. However, the officer DID not check any box

I then had other IAP 66s which were extended from the US, so it doesn’t show any stamps from the officer, but same thing, no financing from any international sources.
My country of citizenship & last residence was and is still not on the skills list

I got an RFE on my 485 and we provided the following:
Copy of J1s
Copy of IAP66s and DS2019
A letter from University in Home country stating that no funds were received from home government
Letter from US University confirming that no funds were received from US government
Copy of an F-1 visa which was issued to me in my home country 3 months after I left the US
Copies of H-1B approval notices, which were approved with a change of status from F-1 to H-1B in the US

Do you think this should be sufficient? Also, what did you IAP66s or DS2019 state? Did section 5 clearly state that there were no financing involved?

I am worried that the officer forgot the check the “is or is not subject to” box. However, if I were subject to it, the F-1 and H-1B would have not been approved.

Finally, last question, does USCIS check with the DOS to confirm its decision based on the documents I sent? Or will it just make the decision?

What should I do in case it is rejected?

Sorry to bother, thanks again!