Problems finding a co-sponsor for wife - anything else I could do?

John T.

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

My wife has an interview scheduled at the Embassy in about a month. I was told to bring an affidavit of support.

The problem is, I have being living with her for two years overseas, and worked a bit teaching English and my salary does not meet the 125% poverty guidelines, nor do I have enough in assets to meet the requirements.

I have asked several friends and family members and no one is able to help me, not one person.

My question is (and I am desperate), is there something else I could do, some kind of waiver or something? As I said, having a family member or friend help me is out of the question.

Yours answers will be very much appreciated on what I could do now.

I don't know if this would help but what if you get a part time job to increase your salary?

I now understand why you wanted to live oversea alone and away from your familes and friends. :) If none of them can help you, you'll certainly need something to boost your income but the question is, if your spouse is getting a GC to the US, how are you going to support her in the state while you working overseas? If I am not mistaken, the affidavit of support requires a sponsor that is living in the US or its territories. You'll still need to find a co-sponsor that lives in the US. Any GC or USC living in the US or its territories can be your co-sponsor. You'll need to convince your relatives or freinds that being a co-sponsor does won't hurt them in anyway becuase your spouse will not ask uncle sam for assistance. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is (and I am desperate), is there something else I could do, some kind of waiver or something? As I said, having a family member or friend help me is out of the question.
If her green card got approved she'd have to move to the US to keep it. So I assume you have plans to move back to the US within the next few months.

This time she's going to get rejected for insufficient sponsorship funds. But since you presumably have plans to move back to the US soon, go ahead with those plans, get a job in the US with a salary high enough to meet the 125% requirement, and then reapply. Yes, it would mean that you have to be apart for 6-12 months during the process (except that you could travel to visit her during long weekends and vacation time). But that's how immigration works. Be glad you are a citizen; green card holders sponsoring their spouse have to wait 5 years.

From what I understand you're dirt poor. The only way would be to find a lawyer who can help you get a co-sponsor. But it seems that you can't afford a lawyer. Quite the predicament you've got there.

From what I understand you're dirt poor. The only way would be to find a lawyer who can help you get a co-sponsor. But it seems that you can't afford a lawyer. Quite the predicament you've got there.

What does the lawyer do to help finding a sponsor? you mean you can actually pay a fee for someone to be the co-sponsor?

Sorry to hear this that you are looking for co-sponsor well i am in same situation as well.

ya as bestpal said convince your relatives or freinds that'll be the best thing i guess.

this might sound little funny HEY nothing is wrong giving a try but look in your own neighborhood who is close to you or know you better or keep an eye at you work place you never know offcourse you would have to put some explanation and your current painfull circumustances and win over some one/paying a some ammount of fee might be helpful.

So you have 3 options:

1) Speak to an immigration lawyer and see if they can help you get a co-sponsor. My cousin did that in South Africa and is now in the US with a GC. It did cost her $2000 though.

2) Go back to the USA and work for 6 - 12 months to be the sponsor yourself, while your wife stays in her home country.

3) Take you wife to the USA on a different visa (eg B2) and do the applications there. I don't know for sure if this would be possible if your other application got denied.

If you can pay a fee for someone qualifies as a co-sponsor. Go ahead and pay a fee. It's well worth it considering the amount of time you'll be away from your wife if you going back to the US to find work and be your own sponsor plus the plane tickets to travel back and forth. Maybe pay $1000 to $2000 to your friend or relative? Just something that can LURE them. :)