Problem applying for SSN with EAD?

devadoss

Registered Users (C)
Guys,
My wife was on H4 and got EAD now. When we went to the SSN office to apply for SSN we were told that SSN automatically will come to my wife and wait for 21 days. If we don't get any SSN for 21 days after the EAD approval we were asked to come again to SSN office to apply. We didn't get even after 21 days. So we went to SSN office again. Guess what? This time we were told that we can not apply for SSN now because they havn't received any documents from INS to issue SSN for my wife. Its going to take from 30-60 days to receive the documents from INS. Now we are in waiting mode.
Does anybody have similar experience to share with?
Any suggestion from GURUs?

thats sad man.
we didn't have to go thru this stress. Ours went pretty quick. As soon as i had rcvd EAD we went to SSn office in Minneapolis and applied for SSN and lady was nice and we rcvd it in 3 wks.

We took along Passprt, Approved EAD old ITIN( wasn't required)
marriage certificate(which i think she checked).

Hope this helps but i can not think of any reason to delay in this in ur case.
K.

devadoss and others,

Which office / State did you try this from . I got my wifes intrim EAD today and we went to the SSN office and was tpld that it might tale 2 weeks for thier system to be updated with my wife's the approved status ..

Any thoughts anyone,
Thanks,
Rotny

Rotny,
I went to North Brunswick, NJ SSA office. Followed by I went to Trenton office and I was told the same again. Doesn't this sound stupid?

When i went first time I was told to wait for 21days because I'll be getting the SSN automatically. When I went after 21days I was asked did you get any receipt from INS along with my EAD saying that "You will receive SSN within 21days". I said no.
If I was asked the same question 21 days ago when I went first time I did not have to waste 21 days. Its really a mess and pathetic.

Hello everybody;
Last month also went through the same pain getting SSN for my wife. This is how I got it resolved:
There are 2 ways of doing it:
1. Ask the SS officer to get employment verification from Washington DC office. They will need your wife's drivers liecense & EAD card. This is what the lady did in my case. It will take about 3 weeks for them to get employment verification.
2. You can call the employment verification office direcly @888-464-4218 and ask them to update the database to reflect employment authorization. They will ask to fax documents proving emploment authorization and 485 pending. fax#202-514-9981 or 202-514-3902. Once they update the database SS office will be able to issue SSN.

My old post:
As soon as i had rcvd EAD we went to SSn office in Minneapolis and applied for SSN and lady was nice and we rcvd it in 3 wks.

Now that I'm thinking about it, i think we didn't go right away for SSN. We went there after about month and a half and I think by that time their records were updated with my wife's EAD and thats why I din't have to go thru all th eprocesses mentioned above by fellow GC seekers.

K.

THnaks for your help. I called the 1-800 number. They said they will update and forward that to SSN office.

Again thanks for your information.

Vsc filler

Originally posted by immiadvice
Hello everybody;
Last month also went through the same pain getting SSN for my wife. This is how I got it resolved:
There are 2 ways of doing it:
1. Ask the SS officer to get employment verification from Washington DC office. They will need your wife's drivers liecense & EAD card. This is what the lady did in my case. It will take about 3 weeks for them to get employment verification.
2. You can call the employment verification office direcly @888-464-4218 and ask them to update the database to reflect employment authorization. They will ask to fax documents proving emploment authorization and 485 pending. fax#202-514-9981 or 202-514-3902. Once they update the database SS office will be able to issue SSN.