Preparing I-485 Interview Docs

Puzzled

Registered Users (C)
I am preparing for upcoming I-485 interview. In the interview letter, it lists things to bring. I have a few qustions:

1. The eligibility is based on the marriage, it says:

Bring your sponse's Birth Certificate and your spouse's evidence of United States Citizenship

Hubby was born here, he only has a copy of birth certificate. He does not have an US passport since he never feels he need one. Is the birth certificate sufficient enough to prove that he IS a citizen? or He needs to apply for a passport? What other evident to prove you are a native-born citizen?

2. Medical Exam

I have it done a year a half ago. Do I need to do it again? I noticed some people say yes, some people no. Is there anyone who in the same situation who has gone the interview?

3. It does not say to bring ADIT photos, but I heard that you need to bring some, how many, 2?

Thanks in advance.

Congartulations on the interview Puzzled! :)

1* As for the fisrt question. Birth Certificate is supposed to be sufficient. Only USC who have traveled abroad have passports. USC need passport only when they they travel abroad and that's the reason for which a passport is issued. That's the puspose of the passport itself. It's like an international ID. If your US spouse has never traveled outside of the USA there's no way he can have one. And there's no need to apply for one of course. The BC in this case is the main proof of his origin.

2* I am surprised that they don't mention about med exam in the letter. I guess they don't need it then and the one you submitted initially is still good. I told you what we were told from our local office- that med exams are only good for 10 months. Just telling you what I know and you decide what to do.

3* About the photos. In this and other forums I also read that you'll need photos of you and your spouse (don't remember how many). The guys who have passed the interview say that the letter doesn't mention photos at all, but on the actual interview The Immigrations Officer asked them for "documents" photos. So doesn't hurt to make a couple for you and for your spouse

You've been in this forum for a long time, and you are well informed about most matters. I am pretty sure you'll be more than prepared for the interview so don't overstress.
I wish you luck with everything! Don't leave the forum after your interview, for the sake of the rest of us who are still waiting :)
Good luck, girl!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks NBC_June04, I don't worry too much about the interview, I am confident that I will be approved unless documents are missing or the name checking is not completed yet.

As the first question, Hubby had a vaction in Cancun before, but surprisingly, it did not requir passport, I guess Mexico does not count as international ;)

In the letter, it does mention the medical exam, but only requires IF you have not submitted yet. That's why I am not sure.

I will definitely come back and post my interview experience. Thanks for people in this forum for sharing stories, experiences, providing information answering questions. It sheds lights into this dark, stressful and often frustrated process.

I hope my experience can help others. Eventually, I wanted to be an advocate for speeding up and make it less stressful process for ALL LEGAL IMMIGRIANTS. But first thing first, I need to get my interview done and approved, so wish me good luck :)

NBC_June04 said:
Congartulations on the interview Puzzled! :)

1* As for the fisrt question. Birth Certificate is supposed to be sufficient. Only USC who have traveled abroad have passports. USC need passport only when they they travel abroad and that's the reason for which a passport is issued. That's the puspose of the passport itself. It's like an international ID. If your US spouse has never traveled outside of the USA there's no way he can have one. And there's no need to apply for one of course. The BC in this case is the main proof of his origin.

2* I am surprised that they don't mention about med exam in the letter. I guess they don't need it then and the one you submitted initially is still good. I told you what we were told from our local office- that med exams are only good for 10 months. Just telling you what I know and you decide what to do.

3* About the photos. In this and other forums I also read that you'll need photos of you and your spouse (don't remember how many). The guys who have passed the interview say that the letter doesn't mention photos at all, but on the actual interview The Immigrations Officer asked them for "documents" photos. So doesn't hurt to make a couple for you and for your spouse

You've been in this forum for a long time, and you are well informed about most matters. I am pretty sure you'll be more than prepared for the interview so don't overstress.
I wish you luck with everything! Don't leave the forum after your interview, for the sake of the rest of us who are still waiting :)
Good luck, girl!!!

:) Of course I wish you all good. I am really happy when guys pass all that. It's really a long way. Sometimes I wish my husband wasn't American, but form my home country or both of us were one and the same nationality. It's really crazy through what hell Alien- USC must go for the sake of their marriage and to be able to live a lifetime together.

The med exam - well, obviously they don't need it (having in mind the mentioned condition "if you havent submitted one"). If they do need it you would rather be asked to bring it later and called for a stamp. I really dont' have a clue.
DOn't worry about that vacation and the passport at all.
You'll be fine :)

Hi puzzled,

I came to USA on a K3 visa, after getting my medical tests done in home country. Filed I-485 within 6 months of medical test. Now I have my AOS inteview in DEC 2004. Do I need to take medical tests again?
It's been over 1yr 9 months since I took them in my home country, just before coming to USA.I have gone through the details about medical examination for k-3 visa holders and here are the FEDERAL RULES.

Rules and Regulations
Federal Register
__________________________________________________ ______________________

This section of the FEDERAL REGISTER contains regulatory documents
having general applicability and legal effect, most of which are keyed
to and codified in the Code of Federal Regulations, which is published
under 50 titles pursuant to 44 U.S.C. 1510.

The Code of Federal Regulations is sold by the Superintendent of Documents.
Prices of new books are listed in the first FEDERAL REGISTER issue of each
week.

Medical Examinations

According to 8 CFR 245.5, aliens seeking to adjust status are
required to undergo a medical examination performed by a designated
civil surgeon to determine whether they are inadmissible under section
212(a)(1)(A) of the Act. To date, applicants for K nonimmigrant visas
have been required to obtain a medical examination abroad pursuant to
Department of State regulations at 22 CFR 41.81 prior to entry, and the
medical examination is not repeated if they apply for adjustment of
status within 1 year of the date the examination was performed. They
are, however, required to submit with the adjustment of status
application a vaccination assessment completed by a designated civil
surgeon in order to establish their compliance with the vaccination
requirements under section 212(a)(1)(A)(ii) of the Act.
The Service will continue this same policy for the K-3/K-4
nonimmigrants. K-3/K-4 nonimmigrants who file their adjustment of
status application within 1 year from the date of the medical
examination overseas will not have to submit an additional medical
examination. However, the Service notes that applicants whose medical
examinations overseas revealed a ``Class A'' or ``Class B'' condition
(as defined by 42 CFR 34.2(b)) must establish upon application for
adjustment of status that they complied with those conditions imposed
on the initial admission. Failure to comply with those conditions means
that a new medical examination will be required.

It lucidly says that the medical examination is NOT REPEATED if they apply for adjustment of status within 1 year of the date the examination was performed, so i applied in 5 months,further i contacted the customer service
twice and i spoke to a windy and explained about my case and requested her suggestion and she said i dont require MEDICAL EXAM AGAIN and she told me that if they ask for medicals they SPECIFICALY MENTION IN THE INTERVIEW LETTER TO OBTAIN MEDICALS.Based on both statements i may not require medicals and this is my understanding and i have decided not to go for medicals again.

BTW my AOS interview is earlier to you puzzled,therefore u dont need to worry about medicals as iam gonna post immediately after my interview and u'd be having time to decide whether to go for medicals or not basing on my interview.

Hope this 'd help all.

devss

Puzzled,

Your post struck a nerve with me. Please forgive the long vent.

I am one of those USC who has been to hell and back with INS. My advice to you is to keep your mouth shut about any complaints you have until you are granted the green card or even US citizenship. Trust me, to them, you are just a number.

As for the medical, we decided to take NO CHANCES. Our receipt date was August 28, 2001. We sent the medical at that time. INS sent it back and said hold on to it for your interview. FAst foward almost three years to June 28, 2004. My husband's medical had obviously expired.

So, he took it over again. What a nightmare! THe new medical showed he had a positive skin test to TB. He had to have a chest X-Ray. Thank goodness it came back clear!! But, he had to take the medication for months as he was "exposed" to the TB virus. We assume he was exposed during our two trips to the former Soviet Union we made over the past three years. And contrary to popular belief, tuberculosis is NOT ERIDICATED in the U.S. Doctors and nurses everywhere have periodic skin tests.

As for the birth certificate, it should be sufficient evidence to prove US citizenship. I went a step further. Not only do I have a US passport, I also applied for one for our infant daughter before our INS interview.

Despite all the documentation we had in addition to a child sitting in the waiting reception area, we were interrogated as guilty until proven innocent by a former border control officer. It wasn't until I showed the officer a copy of our ENGAGEMENT ANNOUNCEMENT FROM OUR LOCAL NEWSPAPER NEARLY 4 YEARS AGO that he lightened up on us. Apparently INS still encounters a lot of fake marriages whereby the Alien pays off the USC. My husband is from Russia. Unfortunately Russians are stereotyped as extremely wealthy mafia by our media and on such televion shows as Law and Order.

Puzzled, when it is all said and done, I also want to be an advocate for the legal immigrants who come here, work hard, play by the rules, but despite all that our mistreated by our system. But, that day will come when my husband has a US passport in his hand and has a voice.

Kiska

Thank you for your advice. My poor hubby has being sufferring from most of my complaints ;). He naively thought I would be granted citizenship after we filed applications :) . Sometimes, he thinks I am too crazy to worry about the process. He did send an email to our congressman expressing his frustration in his words "I am so confusing, contradictory, and in my confusing near about defunct! " To our surprise, they did contact us. We did not follow through though.

What I have learnt is to be patient. In fact, I have no problems to follow rules. I am a lawful resident, pay taxes for years, donate money to different charities, I understand that becoming an American is a long, sometime not easy journey for most immigrants. I just wish the whole process is more transparent. If they say we need wait for 2 years, I'll wait. The problem is the dates keep changing and are not accurate, so you just don't know when it's coming, in the meantime worry if your files have been lost. Those kind of anxiety could have been avoided.

Now, I'll keep my mouth shut :rolleyes:

Kiska said:
Puzzled,

Your post struck a nerve with me. Please forgive the long vent.

I am one of those USC who has been to hell and back with INS. My advice to you is to keep your mouth shut about any complaints you have until you are granted the green card or even US citizenship. Trust me, to them, you are just a number.

As for the medical, we decided to take NO CHANCES. Our receipt date was August 28, 2001. We sent the medical at that time. INS sent it back and said hold on to it for your interview. FAst foward almost three years to June 28, 2004. My husband's medical had obviously expired.

So, he took it over again. What a nightmare! THe new medical showed he had a positive skin test to TB. He had to have a chest X-Ray. Thank goodness it came back clear!! But, he had to take the medication for months as he was "exposed" to the TB virus. We assume he was exposed during our two trips to the former Soviet Union we made over the past three years. And contrary to popular belief, tuberculosis is NOT ERIDICATED in the U.S. Doctors and nurses everywhere have periodic skin tests.

As for the birth certificate, it should be sufficient evidence to prove US citizenship. I went a step further. Not only do I have a US passport, I also applied for one for our infant daughter before our INS interview.

Despite all the documentation we had in addition to a child sitting in the waiting reception area, we were interrogated as guilty until proven innocent by a former border control officer. It wasn't until I showed the officer a copy of our ENGAGEMENT ANNOUNCEMENT FROM OUR LOCAL NEWSPAPER NEARLY 4 YEARS AGO that he lightened up on us. Apparently INS still encounters a lot of fake marriages whereby the Alien pays off the USC. My husband is from Russia. Unfortunately Russians are stereotyped as extremely wealthy mafia by our media and on such televion shows as Law and Order.

Puzzled, when it is all said and done, I also want to be an advocate for the legal immigrants who come here, work hard, play by the rules, but despite all that our mistreated by our system. But, that day will come when my husband has a US passport in his hand and has a voice.

Kiska

You know what, Puzzled. My husband thought the same, that I'll be granted citizenship straight away. He siad - " I married you and nobody can take you away from me!" I just find it funny, 'cause probably many US spouses think like that.
I think the whole process would have been a lot easier and faster if guys didn't perform fake marriages. A LOT MORE EASIER for people who actually married because they love each other.
Further I really doubt if I will want US citizenship. If my country being a member of the European Union forbids dual citizenship I would rather keep mine than giving it up for US citizenship. Anyway.
Good luck, girl.