Preliminary questions about J1 waiver

indian-waiver

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I am cross posting to this forum and the J1 Home residency forum, I hope that is ok.

I am just getting started with my waiver application so any guidance is very much appreciated. For now I have some specific questions. I did look through all the threads to see if they've been addressed already. Thank you for any insights.

I'm an Indian citizen currently living in Israel, but my parents in Delhi are handling the paperwork.

Some preliminary questions:

1. My first passport was issued in India, but my second in the US, in San Francisco. Where should I send the third copy of the NORI? To the consulate in San Francisco or to the Passport office in New Delhi?

2. What should I list as my current address in the NORI form? My address in Israel? The truthful option appeals most to me, but I am worried it may complicate things. The other option is to list my parents address since I am doing all the paperwork from that address. I have the feeling that this makes some difference to the police verification that happens.

I am planning to visit the Indian embassy here in Tel Aviv to see if they have any insight.

Below, I've also attached my background for reference. Many thanks!

I am an Indian citizen and was in the US as follows (rough dates):

August 2001 - 2008: on an F1 and the last year on an EAD, while I did my PhD and one year of postdoc. Phd in Computer Science and Math related area. Postdoc in a department of Statistics.

August 2008 - June 2009: on a J1. Continued my postdoc in the Statistics department.

In September I moved to Israel to do a postdoc for one more year. Now I am considering moving back to the US and my employer is willing to sponsor an H1. And it seems I need to apply for the waiver. (More background: my boyfriend and I are trying to move together to the US, he is on a Green Card. We have some hazy notion that at some point we will get married and this will in the long run make things easier, but for now, it seems I am on my own trying to coordinate so we can move together.)

You might wonder: why didn't I already start the waiver process 6 months ago!!!!????

So, the side story is that when I changed from F1 to J1, I was in the US. Then I traveled outside to Israel, and needed to get my J1 in my passport in Tel Aviv. Tel Aviv stamped me "2 year rule does not apply" and (stupid me!) I took this to mean it proof that I did not need to apply for the waiver. Unfortunately, I should have double checked. My prospective employers claim that I still need the waiver because the consulates can make mistakes like this. :mad:

Ok, I wonder if you could direct me on how to delete a post? I'd like to delete my other post in the Home Residency thread.

Thanks,
indian-waiver