PP Stamping Experience in Houston INS, 9/30/02

danj

Registered Users (C)
Arrived at Houston INS at 9:00 am and passed thru the security check at the front door. There is a very big hall in which several hundred people were sitting and waiting for their turn. There is a counter at the very beginning of the hall to the right where an officer(receptionist) was answering general queries, and there was a very long queue for talking to this receptionist.

If you are going here (Houston INS) for PP stamping do not stand in this line. If you do, you will be wasting 2 to 3 hours of your time. At the end of the above mentioned queue there is a counter for "Permanent Residence" to the right side of the hall and there is a double door next to the counter. People will be sitting everywhere in the hall, so don't get distracted. Enter thru the double door and as soon as you enter thru the double door there is a room to your left where they receive your PP, etc. for stamping. Do not hesitate to talk an officer when you are in this area, if you are not sure.

I gave my new passport and the lady at the counter asked me to give my old passport too. I gave my old passport too, and also gave my Courtesy copy, EAD, I-94 that was in my new passport and 2 ADIT photos. I was sitting in the room for about 5 minutes and an INS officer came out and called my name . I followed the officer and he had already stamped my PP and he took my index finger print on another form (for green card) and asked me to sign next to the finger print. He also asked for mother's and father's first names and entered on the green card form that he filled out himself. He explained that i could work/travel anywhere in USA from now on and I could apply for citizenship in 5 years. He also informed me that I will get my Greeen card in the next few weeks and it will be valid for 10 years.

The whole process took about 10 minutes and I was out of the INS to a Exxon gas station to get donuts and coffee.

That's my experience and hope it helps anyone going to Houston INS for PP stamping. Good Luck to you all.

DanJ