potential layoffs, with I485 pending---EAD vs H1b

mahaperu

Registered Users (C)
Hi
There is a potential for layoffs in our company soon with my I485 pending (receipt date 18 Dec, 2002) and I140 approved (on 24 Feb, 2003). With this situation, I have been advised that I should try to get 3 more months (total 6 months) on this job at the least and try for a new job with similat job description. Even if I cannot stay here for 3 more months I should still look for jobs wqith similar job descriptions. Looking at other threads it seems, it is better to get a job with a new H1b rather than an EAD. My question is if I apply for a EAD right now, I would potetially get it in 90 days (or get a temporary EAD thereafter). Does my current H1b cancel, the moment I apply for my EAD or when I receive my EAD. Or is it valid till the time that I manage to secure a job on my EAD. I would appreciate if any of you could clarify these for me.
Sincerely
Narasinha

To really use EAD, you need to fill out a new I-9 form that says your work authorization basis is EAD instead of H1B. As long as you haven't done that, you are still in H1B.