Possible Legalization of Mexicans

Gilbert

One week ago, I referred everyone\'s attention to reports that the President Bush is considering a massive immigration amnesty for
Mexicans (As an aside, the President\'s sister-in-law was born and raised in Mexico).

The New York Times now has a follow-up on this.

Bush Panel Backs Legalizing Status of Some Migrants

By ERIC SCHMITT

ASHINGTON, July 23 — A cabinet-level panel has recommended that President Bush
       endorse a limited plan allowing some of the estimated three million Mexicans living in the
United States illegally to apply for permanent legal status, a White House spokesman said today.

Some administration officials and outside experts said that perhaps one million to two million of the
illegal Mexican immigrants might ultimately meet eligibility requirements, based on their job history and
how long they have been here. The exact terms have not been determined, administration officials said.

Even so, such a program, if adopted by Congress, would be one of the largest attempts to legalize the
status of illegal residents in American history. A 1986 law granted legal status to about three million
illegal immigrants from several countries.

In a confidential one-page memorandum sent to the White House late on Friday, a working group
headed by Secretary of State Coin L. Powell and Attorney General John Ashcroft addressed, at least
for now, only unlawful Mexicans, who make up the bulk of the estimated seven million to eight million
illegal immigrants in the United States.

Democrats and immigrant groups have urged the administration to expand any legalization plan to
include illegal immigrants from other countries.

A White House spokesman, Scott McClellan, said no decisions had been made on that issue or on
many other details of the proposal.

The stakes are high for Mr. Bush. He is trying to remake relations with Mexico and at the same time
court Latin voters who would be crucial to any re-election bid in 2004.

The legalization plan is the most sensitive result of broider discussions on border and migration issues
that Mr. Bush and President Vicente Fox of Mexico began in February. Secretary Powell and Mr.
Ashcroft, and their Mexican counterparts, were delegated to develop recommendations before the two
presidents meet in Washington in early September.

Allowing illegal immigrants to change their status would be a central component of a new, ambitious
temporary-worker program that American and Mexican officials are discussing. It would let some
unlawful Mexicans living in the United States legalize their status and also permit future migrants to earn
legal residency.

"The panel recommends consideration of a new temporary-worker program that would allow for some
of the workers to achieve permanent residency status over a period of time," Mr. McClellan said.

Congress is already considering legislation to expand and streamline a temporary farm-worker
program that would let undocumented laborers of any nationality earn permanent residency under
certain conditions. It is estimated that 50 percent to 80 percent of the 1.6 million farm workers in the
United States are illegal immigrants, most from Mexico.

Building on that effort, Secretary Powell and Mr. Ashcroft recommended that the White House, for
now, consider legalizing the status of illegal Mexican workers in sectors other than agriculture. They
include a diverse array of workers, from health-care aides to meat packers, and together could be three
to four times the number of farm workers.

The White House would work closely with Congress on pending legislation for a new agriculture
guest-worker program, Mr. McClellan said. That program, administration officials said, might serve as
a model for a larger temporary-worker initiative.

Indeed, two leaders of a bipartisan guest-worker program, Senators cordon H. Smith, Republican of
Oregon, and Bob Graham, Democrat of Florida, met with

Favortism to One Ethnic Group?

I will have to agree with the Democrats in this issue. If there is to be amnesty given to illegal aliens in the US the administration must not only give it to one particular ethnic group. That will be seen as favortism by other ethnic groups.

I can understand that some of these Mexican folks have lived and worked in the US for many years and they deserve to be legalized, but giving amnesty to all illegal aliens will ridicule the exsiting legal immigration system. Legal immigrants have to wait many years and spend thousands of dollars in legal fees in order to become LPRs.

In my opinion I don\'t think the President\'s proposal will ever become a law. He will face pretty stiff oppostion not only from the Democrats but also from people within his own party. But there is a likelyhood that his proposal will be analyzed, made afew changes here and there, cut some numbers and finally made into a law.

No Title

My pragmatic concern is that the INS is simply incapable of managing so many legalization applications. It is overwhelmed as it stands now.

Quite True

That\'s right. I made the same comment when Clinton signed the LIFE Act. And I experienced it first hand: at our local distrct office there were so many people inquiring about the LIFE Act that it took me 3 hours just to get inside the office to make inquiry about my I-485 case.

It is good for attorneys

Let me also add that an amnesty is good for immigration attorneys\' bottom line.

As a legal assistant, I would the proposal enacted so that I can get the overtime bonus.

But as a resident of this country, I think what Bush wants is ill-advised unless he can first improve the INS.

the system is a joke

after waiting many years first on studnt visa then h1 then applying for the coveted green card,
people may not like this by spending so much time in compliance,in status etc,when illegal immigrants can simply
become LPR\'s overnight

Is this not injustice? is this not america? the land of justice

first all cases of immigration pending must be judged,then process illegals or undocumented cases

this may set a bad precedent to think every 5 yrs all illegals will be legalized.

what is the motive in compliance with legalities if being illegal gets u a green card faster??

Require Attorney\'s Help?

Are you sure the Mexican illegals will be needing Attorney\'s assistance in applying for AOS? Once the Amnesty is given I think they can just pick up the I-485 form and fill it out on their own and send off to the NSC (or wherever that type of applications will be accepted.)

The last President to grant amnesty to illegal aliens was Ronald Reagan. And I think that is exactly what Bush wants to do. So it may be worth studying the Amnesty declared by Ronald Reagan.

Honestly though, I don\'t think the Congress will allow the Bush propsal to become a law without them making modifications and adding amendments to it. I think the COngress will add so many conditions and requirements that the "Amnesty" will become something similar to the LIFE Act signed by Clinton.

Empty Promise, Far from Becoming a Law

I totally agree with you that it will be unfair if the Bush proposal grants amnesty to illegal immigrant who came in two days ago to allow to apply for Greencard. Such Amnesty would ridicule the existing legal immigration system. It will also be the opposite of Bush\'s policy on immigration during Campaign 2001.

But, there are certain group of honest hard working Mexican (and people of other ethnicity) workers who have been living and working in the US for decades without proper paper work. Some of them have children that are born in the US. At least in my opinion I think such people deserve to be legalized.
However, the difficulty will be that the INS will have a hard time seperating those who have here for decades and those who entered the US not so long ago. Since all illegals entered without any paper work and do not have SS# there is no way of seperating them.
  At this point the Bush Amnesty propsal is just "Smoke and Mirrors", "A Castle in the Clouds."

No Title

You will be surprised by the number of people who are unable to follow basic written instructions printed on immigration forms.

Moreover, for many people who sneaked into the country and have been leading a semi-secret life, proving amnesty eligibility is no simple matter. It takes professional help to document residence in the U.S. since whatever date the law happens to require (I doubt that an amnesty [if there is one] will legalize anyone who happens to be here at the moment. Just like last time, applicants must have been here for sometime).

Also, some people might have minor criminal record that is best resolved through an attorney.

Legalization will benefit American Economy?

Other than the obvious political benefits Bush expects to get from legalizing illegal Mexican immigrants I think the Bush administration also believes the legalization process will benefit the American economy.
  If the illegal aliens become legal LPRs they will be able to buy houses, cars, and other consumer goods on credit, thus boosting the consumer confidence. Also, they will have to start paying taxes like the rest of us.