portability after EB1-OR I485 approval

focus1

Registered Users (C)
My I-485 was approved based on an 0R I-140 at VSC.

RD (for I140 and 1-485):July14-2004
AD (I140): Feb-12-2005
FP : April 8 2005
AD (I-485) : June-27-2005

My question is whether I can switch jobs as easily as a standard case
given this was employer based outstanding researcher application.

My lawyer says I am not bound anymore to the employer, but just wanted to bounce ideas.

thanks

AC21 applies. In my opinion you can move 180 days after 485 was filed, provided you stay in the same line of work.

nikkasingh said:
AC21 applies. In my opinion you can move 180 days after 485 was filed, provided you stay in the same line of work.

AC21 is for before 485 approval. Once 485 is approved, you are
not bound to the employer and 6 month rule does not apply.

Now, there is another 6 month thing. Lawyers recommend 6 month
stay after GC in good faith but I don't think it matters much these days.
Lots of people have been waiting for years sacrificing their
careers for GC these days. So the 6 month in "good faith" thing is
rather irrelavant these days, in my humble opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I leave my sponsoring employer once I get my green card?

focus1:
Read Question 13 "Can I leave my sponsoring employer once I get my green card?" at http://www.murthy.com/485faq.html#13 and you will find an answer. This rule is not applied for self-petition EB1a (EB1-EA) but for EB1b (EB1-OR) the rule should be valid.

thanks to all your responses.

But frankly, once you have the card in hand, who is going to check? Its not the case that I am leaving the empoyer in bad faith that they will report to the INS.
there seems to be nothing conditional about the initial employment based GC, iunlike those obtained through marriage. so there is no after check.

during naturalzation, will they actually track down your employment record and find that you left the sponsoring employer within 6 months? in any case one can always have explanations for leaving, like funding cuts or layoffs, which in my case is the truth.

thanks