Port of Entry questions asked.

opensource

Registered Users (C)
I returned from vacation today. I have visa (h1) from the former employer. I was carrying new I797 form.

The offical at the port of entry told me that I should apply for a new visa and I cannot travel with the old visa.

I am surprised because I was told that I could travel with the old visa and new company I797.

If I send my passport and new documents, will the consulate at St Louis give me new visa with the new employer information?

Regards.

You CAN travel with you old visa stamping as long as it is valid and you have a valid H-1B approval.

And yes, you can send your passport, H-1b approval notice for a new visa stamping. you need to send it to St. Louis.

I am surprise that not every POE officer know the standard rule although awareness should be increased since 9/11. I have even read posts stating some officers stamp the I-94 till either passport expiration date or visa stamp expiration date although I-797A was shown. Perhaps there's no standard rule, and it's up to the POE officer's judgment to stamp whatever date they think is reasonable. I have yet to find an official documents online.

Yes, you can enter US with your old company visa stamp as long as it's still valid. I have done this without any problem.

So, although POE officer said you need to get a new stamp, he/she still allow you to enter?

Yes, he told me that he is going to allow me only this time and the next time I won't be allowed with the old visa.

He put a stamp admitted in the passport and wrote the class as H1 and for period he wrote VOIPP.

I don't know what this VOIPP means?

Regards.

same situation

I was in the same situation two weeks back. The officer was wondering whether i have to get stamping for my new employer's H1. I told him that my lawyer said that its not necessary as my old visa is still valid. After a little bit of thinking he let me in, but he did not say anything else. He was polite.

He also mentioned VOIPP in my I-94.

Is is Verfied Old Indian Pass Port :) Just guessing Because my old company visa was in my old (expired) Passport and i had a fresh passport from India Consulate in USA
:confused: