Political Asylum & Citizenship

No Title

Hi Alanpero,

My number is not what you predicted. Its LIN-00-018-XXXXX. So now what do you think about processing time that how long should it take? When visas for Y 2001 are issued, I think I would be the among 1st lot of the visas. Am I right or not? Please advice.

No Title

Hi Rajarani,
It was not exactly as I predicted but pretty close anyway. As I predicted the first two digits are "00" confirming your application was filed in FY 2000 (but calendar year 1999). I said the next two digits would be between 020 and 050 if you filed in November. You said those digits are 018, which means that your Notice date is October 26 1999 or around that, am I right?. If so, that means your received date is someday in September 1999, maybe by the end of that month.
So, reason why I didn\'t get the right numbers is because I was given the wrong RD and ND (November and December instead of September and October). The last five digits (XXXXX)must start with 5, is that correct?
As for your inquiry, you are right. It\'s better to have a ND in October rather than December. Try to imagine all the applicants staying in a line, and that the place in that line is determined by your LIN number. Every FY, the first 10000 persons in that line get their I-485 approved. If, at the begining of any FY you are in the next 10000 people in that line, then you\'ll get your case processed that FY, if not, you\'ll have to wait until next FY. As simple as that.
Using INS information publicly reported, status of similar cases, reasonable assumptions, etc., it is possible to predict with a reasonable accuracy when a particular application is most likely to be processed. Anyone can do it!!. I have develop a method to predict that processing time, not to make any business just for fun and because immigration issues are of the upmost importance for me. Receiving info from others will help to adjust that method and make it more reliable; consequently, I will better know about my case.
As for your case, I still believe your case will be processed and you called for FP between October and Dec 2003, but since your ND is October, according to my estimate, there is a slight chance for you to be called a year before. Method is not so accurate so better not to feed false expectations and think in 2003. If you are called before 2002, I am wrong, that would be a great new, and I would be happier than anybody else.
Remember, don\'t take this estimate as granted. I am not a lawyer only a person that have learned something about this stuff from own experience, other\'s experience, and from what I have learned and searched about this. Do not give it more credit than it deserves.
Good luck

No Title

Yes, Alanpero, you are right. I spoke with immigration officer last week and they told me that I have chances of getting a call for FP in 2002. So but still I have my fingers crossed. So I am not expecting until 2003. However, your reply reminds me that I had originally applied in September 1999 but they asked some more documentation that I supplied immediately. So I think they have counted me for September 1999. Therefore, as per you formula, it stated LIN-00-018-XXXXX. But lets see what happens. Please keep updating us. At least by talking like this gives a relief and hope, otherwise its very hard even to talk with someone for this.

No Title

Hi Rajarani, thanks for posting about your talk with immigration officer. Good luck and stay in touch

No Title

Jose,

Please do not criticize Alanpero even if he has posted wrong information by accident. Disclaimer in this board clearly advise participants NOT to literally take the information in this board for legal purposes.
  Alanpero has posted valuable information in this board more than once. I think he deserves some credit for his work.

Immigration laws are VERY complex and changes happen every now and then. Personally speaking I always double check the information I saw in this board with the INS web site, lawyer etc. I suggest others to do the same. This board is BY ALL MEANS not a cheap substitute for professional legal help you get from lawyers.

So my final advise is use this board like "Village gossip" and reference check with INS sources, lawyers etc.

Thanks

Jack

No Title

Hi Raja,

I think you mean I-485, correct? When I applied mine at the local office in 1996 (back then all I-485s were filed at the local offices) they did not even give me a receipt. When I visited the INS 1 yr later they told me I should have enclosed a self-addressed envelope along with the application (not mentioned in the filing instructions). Fortunately I kept my Money Order receipt which the INS officer used to find my case in their computer.
  In July 2001 I was called for finger printing. A month later I received the appointment letter for interview. In my old postings I described the interview details. Nothing special, just routine questions. I think the actual purpose is to see whether you are still in the US or not (my opinion). At the end of the interview I was told that this INS office cannot stamp my passport today because there is 10,000/year approval limit on asylum based I-485s. The interview officer told me to continue waiting for notice letter from the INS.
  I did some fact finding on the internet and found out that since 1996 average 15,000 asylees apply for I-485 yearly. So the quota system is creating a very bad "bottle neck" situation.
  The recent update is that Congresswoman Shiela Jackson-Lee (D-Texas) has proposed a Bill to increase the asylee GC approval quota to 25,000/year. The Senate is currently holding hearings etc on the case.
  As for me, I continue to wait to get the notice letter from the INS. Thanks to the recent change in SSA policy I now hold a Social Security Card with no restrictions on the card.

No Title

The INS may issue GC visas for asylees 3 times a year(jose\'s statement), but the fact that there is a 10,000 approval per year does not change.

No Title

The fact is not even an average INS officer knows about immigration related facts and figures. Speaking out of my own personal experience I asked my interview officer how many asylees have applied for I-485 since 1996, and if the quota number is static or changes accordingly with the number of applicants per year. She said she does not have that information. So I had to do my own research on the internet.

You are correct in pointing out the obvious that has been reiterated in this board over and over again: that information found in here should not be taken literally like INS press releases.

No Title

The abstract you quoted here makes several references to other paragraphs in the ACT (noted in paragraphs (a)(1)(i), (iv), and (v)blah blah).

I am not going to take time to do further research on this case (that should be a paid lawyer\'s job). But it seems to me like this paragraph is about asylees and refugees who received their status before 1990 (does not apply to me).

No Title

Hi Jack!

Yes, you are right I mentioned about my I485. When I applied for the adjustment, I received a letter which mentioned about the receipt date and the notice date. It also mentioned that my case will take 412-510 days which has already passed. Yes, you are also right they issue visa three times a year as per their site. But the bottom line is 10000. So lets hope for better. I hope Congresswomen Sheila\'s efforts bring some changes soon.

Also I received my travel document which is not white. Its blue color. Does it make any difference in travelling? I will be going to Canada soon for a week. Do you have any advice?

Also about SC without any restriction, I want to apply for that. But do you think that I don\'t have to re-apply for AD again? It look like from the letter that I don\'t need AD after this SC. But just want to double check. Thanks

No Title

Hi Jack,
Hopefully, I will make it clear this time. We all know what regulations says about that "3 times a year issuance". However, what I meant is that, based on what has happened in the last years, the INS has been issuing the majority of the 10000 visas in the first three months of the FY (between October and December). After that, in compliance with the regulation, they check for the number of visas available 2 more times, but only to approve the few of them remaining to reach the limit of 10000. What I am saying is that the INS approves the majority of the 10000 visas in the first three months.
The regulation states that the number of visas available is checked three times a year, but doesn\'t set any limit on the number of visas that can be approved between October and December, other than the limit of 10000, of course. And, the INS is approving the majority of them in the first three months of the FY.
If not mistaken, your case is an example. You were called for FP and after that interviewed only to be told that the cap had already been reached for the current FY, and have to wait. Hope this is clearer now.

No Title

I also have a dumb question: if I drive my car without a liability insurance card and driver\'s license will I get pulled over by a cop someday?

Look at the parallel examples here. Technically you can drive a car without liability insurance and dirver\'s license, but you will be taking awful lot of risks. Some people manage to do it without getting caught and some are serving jail time now. So the answer is it is not safe practise.

No Title

If you asylum is approved by the INS you can apply for a EAD and under the new SSA law you can obtain a Social Security Card without any employment restrictions.

No Title

Hi Raja,

Looking on the possitive side the INS replied to you with some answers and a receipt to your application. When I filed mine back in Sept.1996 I was "kept in the dark" for nearly 2 years: no replies to my inquiries, no receipt. I was worried that my application may have lost. Finally they replied to my case status inquiry after 3 years and said I should have enclosed a stamped self-address-envelope together with my application if I wanted a receipt (why is it not mentioned in the I-485 filing instructions?). Then they told me an average asylum based I-485 can take upto 40 months (this was back in 1999 when I-485s were filed at local INS offices). I did not know about the quota system back then.

During the Senate SubCommittee hearing on HR1560 someone testified that asylum based I-485s are now taking upto six years. This coincides with my own case.
  Someone posted in this forum that asylees no longer require advance parole to re-enter the US. I have not checked this one with the official INS web site yet. Please confirm this before you leave the US. Also besure to check with the Canadian consulate on Visa requirements etc.

I\'ve posted some links where you can download SS-5 and the ORR policy change statement. Print those forms out and take it to your local SSN office. If I read everything correctly you do not HAVE to show the old EAD (most of us have it anyway) to get the new Social Security Card. Take your asylum approval letter, old SS card, SS-5 form, and ORR policy change statement letter to the SSN office.
 I wish they had done this long time ago because it could have saved me $100/year EAD renewal fees

No Title

hi, i`ve being in the country for a year and i don`t have a social security number but i have applied for asulym program and i need to get a social security number right away to rent a room ,but they told me i must pass 150 days befor i apply for the work permit .
 i`ll like to know if there is another way to get th social security number befor the 150 days.