• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Police records question (multiple countries)

OnTheGo

Registered Users (C)
I will need police records (police clearance/police checks) from three countries and my wife from four.

We currently live in Germany and getting police records here is easy.
We will also need the same from Australia, Ireland and (in the case of my wife) from Switzerland.

I am just wondering: Ireland and Switzerland was back in the 1990's ... and we still have the original police records covering our time there for our Australian visa applications back then.

Would they be sufficient or will the embassy require new, recent certificates issued? We never lived in either countries since. If we need new ones issued, I wonder if they could still verify our residence (or certify anything) as this was really "prior to the Internet" era....lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember you will only need PC if you resided in those countries over than year!
If yes than I would advise you to reapply for new PC . There was a case about 2 months ago
On this forum where a nepalese guy was granted a visa in london, and he only had an old police clearence
From he's home country....

Remember you will only need PC if you resided in those countries over than year!
If yes than I would advise you to reapply for new PC . There was a case about 2 months ago
On this forum where a nepalese guy was granted a visa in london, and he only had an old police clearence

how we can knowhow many clearince sertificate we need befor the interview ? some time they accept the last country only ?

how we can knowhow many clearince sertificate we need befor the interview ? some time they accept the last country only ?

If you lived in any foreign countries for more than 12 months (per country) then you need a police cert for each of those countries. You also need a police cert for any country where you were arrested, regardless of how long you lived there.

If you lived in any foreign countries for more than 12 months (per country) then you need a police cert for each of those countries. You also need a police cert for any country where you were arrested, regardless of how long you lived there.

We lived in each of the aforementioned countries for more than 12 months.

My main question is still if the police certs from Ireland and Switzerland, as issued back in the 1990's and covering those periods of residency, will be sufficient, or if the CO at the embassy will require more recently issued documents (in which case I am not sure how easy that is going to obtain after nearly 20 years).

I think I read somewhere that the only police certificate they would require to have been issued recently, is from the country where you have also been living most recently for over 6 months. But that in itself does not fully answer my question. Just wanting to start preparing a list of things to do in the countdown to Jul/Aug :)

For the purpose of completeness, I am also adding the following additional question here which I have already added in the "Australian DV winners" thread (after doing a search with no success, i.e. most questions and answers there relate to Aussies actually currently living in AUS and that's a different scenario, as doing the fingerprinting/police check there is a rather easy and instant process at a local police station, whereas doing it from overseas means the whole process can take 4-6 weeks and can not be done online).

Question regarding the National Police Check:

When residing overseas (i.e. outside of Australia), where does it state if fingerprints are required for the purpose of getting Australian Police certificates?

Even on the printed form (Australian Federal Police), it states:

Please note that a fingerprint check is only required under very limited circumstances. Please ensure that you are actually required to have a fingerprint check conducted
before going to the expense of this level of check by checking with the organisation/department requesting the check

Not needing fingerprints means we can actually lodge the request online and save a couple of hundred dollars between the two of us! More importantly, the online process is way more efficient and faster.

So is there any information by USCIS or KCC or the embassy that indicates in which case fingerprinting is mandatory by the foreign jurisdiction where both simple name checks and fingerprinting are available as two separate choices?

Fingerprinting depends on country. From what they say for Australia below I assume names alone is sufficient:

Police certificates are required for each visa applicant aged 16 years and older. Applicants are required to apply for a Police certificate ensuring that the certificate addresses all known names and/or aliases.

The above comes from the country reciprocity table, which you should have consulted in following the instructions on the dvselectee website?

Fingerprinting depends on country. From what they say for Australia below I assume names alone is sufficient:

Police certificates are required for each visa applicant aged 16 years and older. Applicants are required to apply for a Police certificate ensuring that the certificate addresses all known names and/or aliases.

The above comes from the country reciprocity table, which you should have consulted in following the instructions on the dvselectee website?

Yep, I did see that info indeed - however the short info in the country specific table did not specifically say that a simple name check was sufficient, it just says 'police certificate'. The AFP (Australian Federal Police) essentially lets you choose what you wish to get (name check with or without fingerprints).

While I also assume the name check alone should be sufficient, I wonder why most Aussies in the 'Australian DV winner' thread actually seem to have had their finger prints taken at their local police station, if that is not necessary for US visa purposes?

Anyway, only needing the simple name check is so much of a relief as it's just a rather easy one-time online request (eliminating slow postal services) and it's about a third of the cost, too. Whereas, having to organize fingerprints here in the EU would mean having to make an appointment, pay an extra fee, mailing the fingerprints to Australia and wait for at least a month to have them checked.

Police Record HELP

Hello,

I had an F1 student visa years ago and lived in the US for more than 12 months. Though, that didn't make me a resident. I will probably have my interview scheduled for March.
Do I need a Police Record from the US? How can I obtain that? Thanks

validity of police certificate!

I am currently living in Japan.At the end of march planning to return my own country.If i got police certificate 15 days to one month before than my departure, does it effect anythings?and how long this certificate does work as my case number is 2014As85**

Hello,

I had an F1 student visa years ago and lived in the US for more than 12 months. Though, that didn't make me a resident. I will probably have my interview scheduled for March.

As far as I understand, there is no need for police checks for the USA.

How to obtain a police certificate:
  1. Determine the countries from which a police certificate is required. Refer to the table below.

Note: Present and former residents of the United States need NOT obtain any U.S. police certificates

Note: The above information was found on a general immigration page of travel.state.gov - but I assume the same applies to DV visa applications. At least I don't see why it would be any different.

Source: http://travel.state.gov/content/vis...uments/submit/documents-to-submit-to-nvc.html

I am currently living in Japan.At the end of march planning to return my own country.If i got police certificate 15 days to one month before than my departure, does it effect anythings?and how long this certificate does work as my case number is 2014As85**

I would say a police certificate should cover the whole period of your actual stay/residence in Japan.
Is there any particular reason why you would apply for it prior to leaving? Can't you at least lodge the request on your departure day, or the day before?

I also assume that the residency times you mention on any forms during the DV visa process should be matched by the corresponding police certificates' times, or else they may reject it. Just play it safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

As far as I understand, there is no need for police checks for the USA.

Note: The above information was found on a general immigration page of travel.state.gov - but I assume the same applies to DV visa applications. At least I don't see why it would be any different.

Source: http://travel.state.gov/content/vis...uments/submit/documents-to-submit-to-nvc.html

That is correct - no police check needed for USA because they have direct access to those records.