POE and Leaving ??

tikoji

Registered Users (C)
Friends ,
I am adding follow up question for the simmilarly named thread.
After POE & applying for SSN my cousin needs to go back with
kids so that they can complete their academic year and then
come back to us.
The stay will be prolonged one.
Is there any issue with this ?
Can they get any thing like parole document ?

I am new to this forum. Pls share your wisdom.

many thanks

Out of US for only 180 days in a year

tikoji ,

Technically speaking an individual with a LPR (GC) status cannot be out of the country for not more than 180 days. I am sure that if you notify the US consualte in your home country before hand and take their approval, things might be OK. I am not sure if an individual needs to file I-327 to get extension of stay in their home country. Please consult the US embassy in your home country for confirmation if I-327 can be used in your case.

http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/wwwhimmi.html#outofus

Quote from the above website:
I am a Legal Permanent Resident ("Green Card" holder) of the U.S. How much time can I remain outside the U.S. before I lose my status?

An alien already admitted to the United States as a Legal Permanent Resident requires one of the following to enter the United States:

a valid, unexpired Form I-551 ("Green Card"), or
a valid, unexpired Form I-327 ("Reentry Permit")
In accordance with 8 C.F.R. 211.3, a resident's I-551 ("Green Card") expires upon the first anniversary of departure from the United States. On the other hand, the I-327 ("Reentry Permit") has a specific expiration date before which the resident must return to the United States. Residents who do not return by their deadline lose their status as Legal Permanent Residents.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: