Please read this....

kadavath1967

Registered Users (C)
Hello

I am planning to self file for NIW. The following is the first draft of letter that I have prepared for a professor who is ready to provide me a reference letter for my GC. Kindly read this letter and let me know whether I need to add, delete, modify any thing for NIW.Also please let me know whether I missed out anything for the purpose of NIW.Thanks a lot

The purpose of this letter is to express my enthusiastic support for Dr. JA’s application for permanent residency in the USA. I write in support of the petition on behalf of Dr. JA for permanent employment based immigrant visa classification, as well as the request for a waiver of the job offer and Labor Certification requirement based on the intrinsic merit of His research that is of national interest to the United States.

(Please insert a paragraph describing your professional accomplishments - including where you got your PhD/MD and your current position). Please find my CV attached to this letter for your reference.

I came to know about Dr. JA’s research when he was a graduate student in the laboratory of my collaborator, Dr. KC, Professor and Investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute at the University of XYZ. Dr.JA holds advanced degrees in various fields that offer His a unique perspective into medical research. Dr.JA has also been a recipient of national level fellowships, both in India and in the United States. His research has sustained acclaim and His achievements have been recognized in the field of voltage gated calcium channels, as judged by the numerous citations that His work has received.

Dr.JA’s research has wide implications for drug therapy to treat cardiovascular and neurological disorders. Dr.JA has demonstrated, very elegantly, a functional role for a truncated form of a calcium channel protein. This has major implications for understanding the functional roles of calcium channels, since calcium channels are important drug targets and drugs that modulate calcium channels have been widely used in medicine to treat cardiovascular and neurological disorders. A significant number of individuals in the United States require therapy for cardiovascular diseases each year. The works that Dr.JA has contributed have substantial impact on our ability to design drugs that treat cardiovascular and neurological disorders. Clearly this work is of enormous benefit to the country, by improving health care.

Moreover, Dr.JA’s research has implications for the human disease episodic ataxia type 2 and epilepsy. His research has also contributed to our understanding of epilepsy and episodic ataxia, two devastating neurological disorders. Dr.JA’s studies have opened new avenues in understanding the molecular basis of these two diseases. Clearly, this is the first step towards designing effective therapy for these diseases, potentially by gene therapy or drug therapy. This work is also of enormous intrinsic interest and has enormous national benefit to this country.

Dr JA was awarded a Masters Degrees in Microbiology and Biomedical Engineering. He obtained His PhD in Molecular Biology. This multidisciplinary profile makes Him stand out in His profession. It is highly difficult to find a person with all these different skills in the Medical Research field, which makes His profile really unique. His profession requires highly creative people who could switch modes to different areas of research and drug development, and I am convinced that Dr.JA’s multidisciplinary skills and creativity cater this demand. This means that Dr.JA’s position requires innovative thinking and creative research skills and there is no way to quantify the requirements and qualifications for the position. In other words, labor certification process does not work for this position since the criteria to qualify for it cannot be quantified.

In summary, Dr. JA has made a significant contribution to the field of voltage gated calcium channels that is of intrinsic interest. I have no doubt that He will continue to make significant contributions. His scientific contributions are of tremendous national interest and benefits health care of the United States. Also His abilities are unique and the requirements of His position and qualifications cannot be quantified, thereby necessitating a waiver of Labor Certification requirement.

kadavath1967 said:
Hello

I am planning to self file for NIW. The following is the first draft of letter that I have prepared for a professor who is ready to provide me a reference letter [snip] national interest and benefits health care of the United States. Also His abilities are unique and the requirements of His position and qualifications cannot be quantified, thereby necessitating a waiver of Labor Certification requirement. [/COLOR]

A few things:

1) This letter is not nearly strong enough. Reading it, I don't get the impression that you are the *best*. Really, if you blush when you write it, it will probably do.
2) Explain a portion of your research in detail in such a way that an educated person who knows nothing about your field can understand.
3) Forget the "difficult to find" angle. That is what NYSDOT is all about.
4) Give specific example of you what journals you published in, contributions made, etc...this is where the evidence comes in. Have him mention your current research.

This letter is going to have to fit into the other puzzle pieces that the other letters will provide. Good luck,

Brian

Dear Kadavath, in my opinion

1. The letter needs to be more forceful

2. It needs more detail

3. Stress the part that this PI is a collegue for your PI, but is not directly related to you in a scientific endeavour, ie doent stand to benefit from your approval. In fact if you can get a letter froma direct competetor sho could state so much so it sould be great.

kadavath1967 said:
Hello

I am planning to self file for NIW. The following is the first draft of letter that I have prepared for a professor who is ready to provide me a reference letter for my GC. Kindly read this letter and let me know whether I need to add, delete, modify any thing for NIW.Also please let me know whether I missed out anything for the purpose of NIW.Thanks a lot

The purpose of this letter is to express my enthusiastic support for Dr. JA’s application for permanent residency in the USA. I write in support of the petition on behalf of Dr. JA for permanent employment based immigrant visa classification, as well as the request for a waiver of the job offer and Labor Certification requirement based on the intrinsic merit of His research that is of national interest to the United States.

(Please insert a paragraph describing your professional accomplishments - including where you got your PhD/MD and your current position). Please find my CV attached to this letter for your reference.

I came to know about Dr. JA’s research when he was a graduate student in the laboratory of my collaborator, Dr. KC, Professor and Investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute at the University of XYZ. Dr.JA holds advanced degrees in various fields that offer His a unique perspective into medical research. Dr.JA has also been a recipient of national level fellowships, both in India and in the United States. His research has sustained acclaim and His achievements have been recognized in the field of voltage gated calcium channels, as judged by the numerous citations that His work has received.

Dr.JA’s research has wide implications for drug therapy to treat cardiovascular and neurological disorders. Dr.JA has demonstrated, very elegantly, a functional role for a truncated form of a calcium channel protein. This has major implications for understanding the functional roles of calcium channels, since calcium channels are important drug targets and drugs that modulate calcium channels have been widely used in medicine to treat cardiovascular and neurological disorders. A significant number of individuals in the United States require therapy for cardiovascular diseases each year. The works that Dr.JA has contributed have substantial impact on our ability to design drugs that treat cardiovascular and neurological disorders. Clearly this work is of enormous benefit to the country, by improving health care.

Moreover, Dr.JA’s research has implications for the human disease episodic ataxia type 2 and epilepsy. His research has also contributed to our understanding of epilepsy and episodic ataxia, two devastating neurological disorders. Dr.JA’s studies have opened new avenues in understanding the molecular basis of these two diseases. Clearly, this is the first step towards designing effective therapy for these diseases, potentially by gene therapy or drug therapy. This work is also of enormous intrinsic interest and has enormous national benefit to this country.

Dr JA was awarded a Masters Degrees in Microbiology and Biomedical Engineering. He obtained His PhD in Molecular Biology. This multidisciplinary profile makes Him stand out in His profession. It is highly difficult to find a person with all these different skills in the Medical Research field, which makes His profile really unique. His profession requires highly creative people who could switch modes to different areas of research and drug development, and I am convinced that Dr.JA’s multidisciplinary skills and creativity cater this demand. This means that Dr.JA’s position requires innovative thinking and creative research skills and there is no way to quantify the requirements and qualifications for the position. In other words, labor certification process does not work for this position since the criteria to qualify for it cannot be quantified.

In summary, Dr. JA has made a significant contribution to the field of voltage gated calcium channels that is of intrinsic interest. I have no doubt that He will continue to make significant contributions. His scientific contributions are of tremendous national interest and benefits health care of the United States. Also His abilities are unique and the requirements of His position and qualifications cannot be quantified, thereby necessitating a waiver of Labor Certification requirement.

This letter is not strong enough. You need to explain your contributions in layman terms. Make sure that there is no impression this professor is in anyway related to you and than he wouldn't count as independent. But most important make this letter much, much stronger that is sounds like you belong to the top scientists in your field. Don't be shy to write strong words to describe your accomplishments, if the professor doesn't like them he can still change them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot for your comments. I will try to redesign the letter to make it more stong. In the meantime , can I put the following paragraph on another letter? This letter is from my advisor who is a HHMI investigator. Please let me know.

Dr. JA work requires creativity, innovativeness and professional skills. I believe that he is exceptionally skilled way beyond a person who is minimally qualified for this position. Requesting labor certification for his position will adversely affect the US, as with these research skills he could easily qualify for employment opportunities in other countries.

kadavath1967 said:
Thanks a lot for your comments. I will try to redesign the letter to make it more stong. In the meantime , can I put the following paragraph on another letter? This letter is from my advisor who is a HHMI investigator. Please let me know.

Dr. JA work requires creativity, innovativeness and professional skills. I believe that he is exceptionally skilled way beyond a person who is minimally qualified for this position. Requesting labor certification for his position will adversely affect the US, as with these research skills he could easily qualify for employment opportunities in other countries.

It depends what is written in the rest of the letter. Your advisor has to write something along the lines of "one of the best postdoc/PhD I ever had. Key person in my research group. etc." If this paragraph is the only one which describes your work it is way to weak.