Please read and explain about 245(i) and violation of status if stayed for more than 180 days.

adis

Registered Users (C)
Could someone read these provisions especially the last paragraph about if you are out of status for 180 days and filed and paid the penalty under 245(i) and now wants to travel. Would someone be subject to the 3-10 years bar or not.

INS Implements Section 245(i) Provision of the LIFE Act

WASHINGTON – An interim rule for adjustment-of-status application procedures under Section 245(i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) will be published in the Federal Register on Monday, March 26. Adjustment of status under Section 245(i) is one of several immigration benefit provisions created by the Legal Immigration Family Equity Act and LIFE Act Amendments (LIFE Act) enacted on December 21, 2000.

"The LIFE Act provides relief for a number of individuals seeking to become lawful permanent residents, but it is not amnesty for all persons unlawfully in the United States," said Acting Commissioner Mary Ann Wyrsch. "A major provision of the law is now in place, and we are moving as quickly as possible to develop regulations for all other LIFE benefits."

Section 245(i) allows certain persons—who have an immigrant visa immediately available but entered without inspection or otherwise violated their status and thus are ineligible to apply for adjustment of status in the United States—to apply if they pay a $1,000 penalty. The LIFE Act temporarily extends the ability to preserve eligibility for this provision of law until April 30, 2001. Use of Section 245(i) adjustment of status previously was limited to eligible individuals who were the beneficiary of a visa petition or labor certification application filed on or before January 14, 1998.

This is an important benefit for eligible individuals. Without Section 245(i), many individuals who entered illegally or violated their status are restricted from filing for adjustment in the United States and must obtain their immigrant visas overseas. However, their departure to obtain their immigrant visa abroad could trigger the three-year and 10-year bars to admission to the United States related to unlawful presence. Generally, the three-year bar applies to those who were unlawfully present in the United States for more than 180 days, and the 10-year bar applies to those who were unlawfully present in the United States for one year or more.

Advance Parole

Can some one advise what one should have additional paper when returning back with Advance Parole? Has any one travelled recently on AP and came back especially from India.
Any information in this regard is highly appreciated.
Thankx
Abaosman