please help

portal_user1

Registered Users (C)
My green card is in process since 2004 and my current status is I 485 /AOS applicant.My company has just applied for 8th year H1B extension and in case I lose my job will I be at any risk with my AOS application.If I go to another consulting company who is willing to do green card application then can my AOS status stay alive.

I have heard that if your I485 has been applied that you can change jobs and your green card application will stay alive.

If your i485 has been pending for more than 6 months, and your 140 has been approved, then you will be able to change employers under the AC21 clause. Provided you go to a different company to a "similar" position.

Please review the AC21 related thread for further information on this. Regardless of your H1 situation, do apply for EAD (if you have not, already), in that way you are not bound to have the new employer apply and take you on an H1.

I agree with nervewreck.

If 180 days have passed after you applied 485 and if your 1-140 is approved, you can move to a different job (under AC21 clauses).

In addition, having an EAD would immensely help you in finding a better job.

good luck.