Please help--travel on AP/come back and work on H1B

iip3

Registered Users (C)
The company I work for asks me to travel overseas at end of this month (only 10 days left). I have received AP but no EAD yet(filed EAD 1/16/02 TSC). My H1B is valid until early next year, but my H1B stamp expired.

Since unlikely I will get my EAD at the end of this month, what is the best solution for me? I read some post saying that if I use AP to enter the country, I have to use EAD to work. However my attorney kept saying that I still can use H1B after I come back on AP since it is valid until next year. Is she right?

Thank you.

No Title

You have to use EAD if you enter the country using AP even if your H1B is valid till next year. However, if you get a fresh H1B stamp on your passport, then you do not need to use AP/EAD.

No Title

Your lawyer is right. Ask him/her for the INS memo of 5/16/00 regarding this issue. You will be still in H-1 status after you enter with AP.

No Title

Your Lawyer & Hopeful0820, both are right.
You don\'t necessarily void your H1B status if you travel on H1B. I myself have travelled on AP last year, and when my H1B (not stamped on passport) expired mid february, I applied for renewal, and it was renewed for another 3 years without any complications. (By the way, I used premium processing and it got approved in/about 15 days)

So, I am the living proof, that you don\'t really need EAD if your H1B is still valid, even after AP travel.

Those guys who are asking, why didn\'t I apply for EAD instead of renewing my H1B, I have my reasons. :)

No Title

i do not think you can work on your H1 once you have used your AP. They are not consistent..

going by a few cases where INS has allowed this is not a precedence - as we know INS has goofed up in many cases.

What is a visa stamp?

I have been on H1B for years and have never got any visa stamp. All I have is my I-129 approval notice with new I-94 attached. I hope I have not missed anything.