Please Help, Thanks.

erbautista

Registered Users (C)
I filed my petition for my Wife who is pregnant with our son then, on January 2001, My lawyer said that the petition should include our son when time comes so he can get his visa the same time with my wife. I was reviewing my previous tax returns and I did not want it to cause any problem for my I-130 petition. for all the years from 1999 to 2003,my filing status was always Single and my occupation was always Student, although it's not accurate, I've been married since Nov 2000 but it says on W-2 form that if you're married but your spouse is a non resident alien, I should indicate that I'm single. And the student part, I guess I've overlooked at this information on every year I was having my "tax preparer" prepare the filing for me. Is there any need to amend my Tax returns for previous three years before it's too late? is it being checked/asked upon the processing of my I-130 for my wife and son? Please advice on what's the best thing to do... Any input would be much appreciated.

I'm sorry I didn't clarify, My Wife and son is in the Philippines, I've been away from them for a long time, though I try to be with them every Christmas. I'm filing I-130 for them so they could come over here and live with me. I'm just worried that some minor incorrect tax information might cause problem to my petition for them. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
actually I don't think that's true

if you two are married and living together you can file as joint.

when you file your i485 it looks good because now you have something to show ins that shows you are married and living together and sharing assets.

If your son was born here in the US he is a US citizen. You don't need to do anything, you don't have to file any paper for him.

I'm sorry I didn't clarify, My Wife and son is in the Philippines, I've been away from them for a long time, though I try to be with them every Christmas. I'm filing I-130 for them so they could come over here and live with me. I'm just worried that some minor incorrect tax information might cause problem to my petition for them. Thanks.

Erbautista:

I am sure you can make changes to the "occupation"...just call IRS and find out how. As far as the status as being Single whre your wife is not in US. I can agree with you because I did the same with my wife was not in US at all.

However, I don't see any problem with INS in either case. They are more concern with the amount of money your make to support her than your occupation. Also, you are filing single because the instruction of the tax return direct you to do so. No problem whatsoever.

Good luck.
Kenmw

Thanks Ken for your insight. It made me feel a lot better. I'll make the necessary changes just to make sure there wouldn't be any problem...