Please Help Me!

apollo1331

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum...but I just found exciting news: I read about the DREAM Act, and I'm rather excited, however, I don't really understand what this entails.

Let me give you a little information about myself so you guys can better help me.

-I'm a HS senior (17 yrs; my bday is June 5, so i'll be turning 18 soon)
-I was recently admitted to Stanford University
-I've lived in the US since i was 2 1/2 years old
-I've lived in Texas since 05/2001
-Before that, I was in Colorado for about 3 years.

so my questions:
-Under the DREAM Act, what happens now? Can I apply for greencard when i turn 18, can I get financial aid now?
-When can I work?

thank you all sooo much! I really appreciate any comments/suggestions/answers you may have for me! God Bless!

Read this. It should give you all the info that you need. At the moment the bill is attached to the major immigration bill being debated in the senate now. It isn't a law yet so we can't yet recieve the bill's benefits. Keep praying though, maybe this year :)

hey i think it's great that you have been accepted into stanford. I've been looking at that school. Maybe we should keep in touch. I live in cali. I'm 19 and have been here since I was four. e-mil me, dream_act@sbcglobal.net

assuming have a good moral character and things like that, you are in. we won't be getting federal grants, but loans.

stanford? kudos. how are you paying for it? hope you aren't counting on DREAM to pass to get loans. sadly the timeline is weak for you. had we been having this conversation in november, i like the chances. if you really want to go tot stanford, go to a bank and tell them the situation. perhaps they might give you a loan on condition DREAM passes. and that is a very expensive school.

from what i gather from your posting is that you will be able to get instate in texas. go to austin or college station for a year and then go to stanford. hope i can count on you to fight for DREAM.

apollo1331 said:
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum...but I just found exciting news: I read about the DREAM Act, and I'm rather excited, however, I don't really understand what this entails.

Let me give you a little information about myself so you guys can better help me.

so my questions:
-Under the DREAM Act, what happens now? Can I apply for greencard when i turn 18, can I get financial aid now?
-When can I work?

thank you all sooo much! I really appreciate any comments/suggestions/answers you may have for me! God Bless!

Hi there;

Firstly CONGRATS on getting accepted to Stanford. I think that you shoud try in many ways to get your stanford dream going. Try contacting all the possible Boards and trusts and organizations for help and I amsure atleast one will come forward to help you fund for stanford....

Good Luck! :)

apollo1331 said:

so my questions:
-When can I work?

Congrats for your admission (although by the time of ur posting it seemed very early for an admission decision...) anyways... congrats!

Now, right now YOU CAN NOT get any federal aid to pay for college. HOWEVER, you can get a loan (only if you have a cosigner with good credit AND IT IS WILLING to cosign for houndred of thousand of dollars)

By yourself, you are not elegible for loans. Dream act still on the congress table so it maybe a while until the law passes...