Please HELP -- Important AOS Question

ell_emm

Registered Users (C)
My wife and me went India and got married with all the customs and rituals in front of our families. But we didn't got the marriage registered in India. then we left India and had Honeymoon in Europe , then I entered US on my valid H1 Status.

In the absence of Marriage certificate we cant file for my immigration. So we did a legal marriage in city hall here in US.

My question is If immigration officer askes the details about our marriage what should we tell them ? If they ask about our honeymoon , we had it before our legal marriage date.
If they ask for the pictures then we have our Album made in India but nothing in the city hall.

Gurus please suggest what should we do as interview date coming near I am kind of confused !!!!

ell_emm said:
My wife and me went India and got married with all the customs and rituals in front of our families. But we didn't got the marriage registered in India. then we left India and had Honeymoon in Europe , then I entered US on my valid H1 Status.

In the absence of Marriage certificate we cant file for my immigration. So we did a legal marriage in city hall here in US.

My question is If immigration officer askes the details about our marriage what should we tell them ? If they ask about our honeymoon , we had it before our legal marriage date.
If they ask for the pictures then we have our Album made in India but nothing in the city hall.

Gurus please suggest what should we do as interview date coming near I am kind of confused !!!!
Nothing to be confused. Just tell them that you had your religious wedding before your court wedding.You could not have a court wedding here before since your wife was in India.So now onwards if you have to put down your marriage date on some legal forms then you put down the court one and if you celebrate your anniversary you celebrate your religious one. ;) That is waht we do.

JUST BE HONEST!

I dont understand you people! If your marriage is true (i.e. legitimate), you have nothing to worry. Just be direct, factual and expaling your situation and it will be just fine.

If you start figuring out how to present your case in an incorrect fashion, then you should not be suprised if they ask you additional questions.

As simple as that. Dont lie!

amishah said:
Nothing to be confused. Just tell them that you had your religious wedding before your court wedding.You could not have a court wedding here before since your wife was in India.So now onwards if you have to put down your marriage date on some legal forms then you put down the court one and if you celebrate your anniversary you celebrate your religious one. ;) That is waht we do.
Amisha and e17345 are both right. Thats what I am doing. The only difference is that our religious marriage was after the court marriage but I am quoting court marriage date on all papers. We celebrate anniversary on religious marriage date.

For filing purpose, you can qoute your religious date attach the court marriage certificate from the US court along with a letter explaining the whole situation. It is not uncommon for citizens of India to have undocumentated marriage and USICS reps are aware of that.