Please, help. I am referred to Immigration Judge

falcon998

Registered Users (C)
Hello guys,
Please give an advice. After being waiting for 1.5 years for asylum interview, finally I got it. But I was referred to Immigration Judge. By the time of interview I had an attorney. She is very competent and was working hard on my case, but she is from public advocacy center, which means free. So, the question is if it\'s OK to keep that attorney, go ahead and wait for hearings or to hire a new attorney which is more experienced and famous. Ofcourse, that attorney will be expensive and I will have a hard time to pay those fees because of my financial situation. But I am very afraid for my life if I am sent back and will pay all I have at my disposal. Many times I have heard that the more famous and experienced attorney, the more he charges and less he dedicate time to each his client. And most nasty, it is usual that they can ask to postpone hearings without even knowledge of the client, because the date could not fit their personal or business plans. So, it takes time and finances. What would be your advice guys? Is it wise to go with the current attorney and is there any example in your personal experience when public attorney were helpfull and they could win a case?

THank you very much for your comments

No Title

First of all - don\'t worry. I was referred to immigration judge too and in my experience, you have more chances for fair treatment with judge, than with INS officer. At least judge listens what are you saying. Lawyer is really very important. You have to find out, what is your current lawyer experience, did she tried other cases before the judge, and how well she knows situation in court. If she doesn\'t, better find another one. Remember, expensive does not necessary mean good. Look for somebody who is often in the court and knows what to expect from judges and DA\'s. Mine prepped me really well, just by looking on the names of judge and DA assigned to my case, she told me what kind of questions they are likely to ask and what I can expect. She really knew how to present the case.

Thanks

Thank you very much Annv for your reply. I find it helpful. Anyway, I will be hoping for good final.

No Title

Falcon98,

I am sorry to hear the referral of your application to the immigration court.

Pro bono lawyers are very competent and compassionate people. The only drawback is their heavy caseload. If you could, please retain your own counsel. Most private lawyers are willing to make payment arrangements with their clients.

Good luck.