Please help here to understand the process

anitasingh

Hello Room,

I\'ve the following questions and appreciate, If someone out there, please answer to it. the questions:

I\'m a green card holder and working for a company here in USA. I\'m a indian citizen and planning to marry somebody from back india very soon. How does this works in my case? If I marry somebody from india, How long would It take to bring my partner with me here to usa and also what will be her/his visa?

I got my green card last december 2001 and how about, If I get laidoff now. Will I qualify for un-employement from the govt?

Please advice.

Thanks,

No Title

Unfortunatly there is no way for a GC holder to get a spouse here quickly. You would need to file a I130 and then wait for the PD to be current in that category. Usually, you will end up becoming a citizen and then sponsoring your spouse as a immediate family member before it becomes current (5 yrs away).

Your spouse would (after marriage) not qualify for many NIV\'s. B1/ F1 are all out. If your spouse does qualify for a H1, then thats a possibility. While in the US, the spouse would have to independently maintain status. There is no benefit by virtue of marriage.

Finally the good news.. yes. You do qualify for unemployment insurance.

I know someone in the same situation.

What they did was that the girl came here on a F1. then they registered their marriage.

F1 to H1 or just H1 is your best bet.

Thank you very much.

Hello Dolphins and Rouge,

I sincerly apprecaite your answer and now i\'ve a clear picture to go forward. I\'ll work according to my requirements now.

Thanks a lot for your help.