please help for filing I485 by myself

jennifer zhang

Registered Users (C)
I am preparing to file I485 recently as a dependent of my husband whose I485 was filed by his company\'s lawyer 2 months ago. I would like file it by myself other than my husband company \'s lawyer because he is a very bad lawyer.I donot know if it is OK?Has any side effect to my husband\'s case?Will INS send notice to the bad lawyer because my husband is principle applicant even though I file it by myself ?

No Title

You can file your I-485 by yourself. It may take some time for them to attach it to your husband\'s case though. Make sure you have all the documents that are required. You may want to attach a cover letter explaining you as derivative of husband & give his WAC # as reference. Immihelp.com has lots of info for the documents you will require.
Good Luck
Mick

No Title

So, usually how long it\'s going to take for Jennifer to get her receipt?
Will she be treated as I-485 applicant or GC Holder spouse (I know for sure this will take more than 4-5 years for jennifer to get her GC)? Will she receive her GC later than her husband? How late?
Thanks!

Joan

No Title

This receipt should take no long than 2 months. Her GC should arrive the same time her husband\'s arrives, whenever he submitted his. If it was filed in CSC it could take 2-6 months for GC. Other service centers are taking longer but not 4-5 yrs. at 485 stage.
Good Luck

No Title

Thank you very much .I still have another question:Will INS send my I485 receipt to my husband\'s lawyer?I worry about if he get the receipt,maybe he will do some bad thing to my husband\'s case.

No Title

if you are not represented by him, i don\'t see any reason INS would send anything to him. you know INS send things to our lawyers because we signed papers to allow them to do so when our 485s are filed. if you don\'t give them the right, it is illegal for them to do so. my opinion.

No Title

Thank you very much for your quick response.But because I am derivate of my husband and I try to follow to join his case ,so maybe INS will attach my file to my husband\'s file,then send the receipt to the lawyer.Is it right? hope to get your reply soon.

No Title

hi, Jennifer, frankly, i don\'t have the experience. but i can tell what what happened when i filed 485s for myself and my family. every case is treated as a seprerate case even i am the primary applicant. so everyone signed a piece of paper(i forgot its name) to authorize the lawyer to handle our cases( or give INS the right to contact the lawyer whenever they need to). so i don\'t believe INS would contact you through your hasband\'s lawyer if you don\'t sign thet stuff.