Please help, Do I need to do this? Confused, problem.

N400trans

Registered Users (C)
Hi:
My N400 application has been transferred to another District office, since I went to school at a different state this fall. I have already received the re-interview notice letter that asks me to be interviewed at the new district office. I have one question.
1. I just wondering, do I have to change my driver’s license to the state where my school is for my N400 interview? I only stay there to study. All my family are back in California. I have no intention to stay there after my program is over.

thank you, your help is greatly appreciated.

Hi:
My N400 application has been transferred to another District office, since I went to school at a different state this fall. I have already received the re-interview notice letter that asks me to be interviewed at the new district office. I have one question.
1. I just wondering, do I have to change my driver’s license to the state where my school is for my N400 interview? I only stay there to study. All my family are back in California. I have no intention to stay there after my program is over.

I don't think you need to change driver's license. Your student ID may be more powerful than any idetification such as driver's license. Just remember to take it with you to the interview. Other things like a letter from registration office stating you are a full time student may not a bad idea. Though IO already knows you are transferred becuase of full time student status at the new district, bringing in more concrete evidence could make the reviewing process less confusing for the IO.

Hi:

Why you dont keep your DL and just get state ID card which works exactly like DL for Idenification purpose and just is not valid for driving motor vehicle.
By law you can not have more than 1 valid DL but you can hold valid Id card from each and every state at the same time and renew or keep it as long as you want and this way law has been obeyed and you have valid ID card showing your info and current address.
Actually I have done this in the past. I had DL and ID form one state and just ID card from california when
I was there for 5 months.
Student ID might not be acceptable since is not state government issued ID but it does not hurt to have it with you at interview.
Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you a resident of the new state, or are you just temporarily there to study while holding a residence in another state?

If your true residence is in the previous state, you should not have bothered to update your naturalization process with the new school address, you should have simply gone back to interview in your true home state.

If your residence has become the state where you are studying, then you should get a DL or state ID of the new state.

But now you have confused things, because USCIS thinks your residence is the new state, while you are saying it isn't.