please help: ADDRESS CHANGE-- YOUR EXPERIENCE?

eb2kid

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am about to file my I-485, and my lawyers are making me paranoid about address change. I plan to move in about 6 months, and they recommend I should either not move until I receive my GC or not file until I move, b/c they say the address change often times goes wrong.

My questions
-- what are ppl's experiences w/ address changes of pending I-485's?

-- Has anyone used PO box numbers instead of physical addresses? My lawyers strongly advise against it, but I called the USCIS hotline twice and both parties said it was ok to use PO box addresses.

-- Has anyone tried their work or Mailboxes ETC address?

Thanks for your help.

Call USCIS to change address

Your lawyer is giving you all BS. I can understand not changing address till you receive Receipt of the application.

Does your lawyer think that you should not change address/home till you get GC that is may be next 2-6 years????

File 485.. after you move.. file change of address form.
For each pending 485 application..individually call and change address.
Ask for confirmation receipt, they send confirmation mail to confirm change of address.

Remember to ask all your dependend to file for change of address.

it is that simple.

No Problem at all. Move as many times you wish while the process is pending.

As per Sudh's advice, everytime you move call NSC to update address for every pending application at the time of the move which may also include I-765 and I-131 besides I-485 for every family member for whom the applications are pending. Do not assume that if you update for one pending application it will be updated for other applications too.

Make sure you get a confirmation letter from USCIS confirming your address change update. Call again and update address again if you do not receive confirmation letter within 30 days

As a precaution I also used to call the service center using the POJ trick to confirm that it has actually been updated on their end.

Also do not forget to send your AR11 everytime you change your address.

This may seem tedious but is actually not that bad when compared to the flexibility to change addresses as required.

But....
I am not sure what the procedure is when you move to a place which is served by a different service center other than the one you have pending applications in. Maybe that's what your case is and that's why your lawyer is recommending to either wait to move or to apply. Confirm what your case is.

Last edited by a moderator:
As per Sudh's advice, everytime you move call NSC to update address for every pending application at the time of the move which may also include I-765 and I-131 besides I-485 for every family member for whom the applications are pending. Do not assume that if you update for one pending application it will be updated for other applications too.
You can now file the AR-11 online with an option to update the address for pending applications automatically.

no problem: u can change address during GC process

Hi,

I am about to file my I-485, and my lawyers are making me paranoid about address change. I plan to move in about 6 months, and they recommend I should either not move until I receive my GC or not file until I move, b/c they say the address change often times goes wrong.

My questions
-- what are ppl's experiences w/ address changes of pending I-485's?

-- Has anyone used PO box numbers instead of physical addresses? My lawyers strongly advise against it, but I called the USCIS hotline twice and both parties said it was ok to use PO box addresses.

-- Has anyone tried their work or Mailboxes ETC address?

Thanks for your help.

I changed my address in last June. I don't see any issues if u change address.

Do not misguide. It will be a issue if you are planning to move out of the service area region where ou have applied for I485

My bad luck

My experience with address change... bad bad bad . Not to discourage you.... but be careful.
I got confirmation of address change but my fingerprints notice went to old address.
Then my denial letter went to old address.
Only good thing happened in my case postal office forwarded 485 denial letter to my new address.
Now i am going thru MTR.

Address Change is doable, but NOT preferrable.

eb2kid:

What your attorney told you is NOT entirely out of substance. He has played it very conservatively. You don't need to get stuck with a single address. However, you must understand that changing addresses carries a moderate amount of risk depending upon pure probability. This forum has had folks who got their applications denied after USCIS continued to send FP notices and interview notices to old addresses, despite having been promptly notified about address-change.

But then, in those days, you couldn't do an online address change. So, in my example, I had to call 1-800 number and speak to them personally about my address change. I also had to go to the local office (mine was transferred to Atlanta District Office) to ensure that the address on file matched my recent address. So, I got my FP and Interview notices promptly sent to my recent address. In some folks' cases, one notification would have gone to the newer address whereas some critical notification would have gone to an older address, thereby resulting in a denial due to abandonment.

So, you can change your address, but it has some level of risk. The risk is that USCIS can bollix-up your address-on-file. As long as you ensure that they haven't bungled on that, then you are safe.

Why not go to the Infopass to confirm your correct address on file after requesting a change of address so that the risk will be zero?

Don't worry!!!! Move anywhere in the US.....

Guys,
I lived in PHONEIX AZ and I filed my 485 case in VSC as my LC is from VA. Then I moved to Jacksonville and moved back to PHOENIX AZ again. But I made sure to update my address on all the Pending applicationss with the USCIS.
There is no problem at all. Also now you can change the address on line on the below site. This is very accurate.

https://egov.immigration.gov/crisgwi/go?action=coa.cr.Residence