Please clarify

ravig

Registered Users (C)
I got my GC stamped in PP. I have questions regarding..
1. Can I change job immediately.
2. Do I have to update my SSN status in SSN office
3. Do I have to intimate my employer with any Alien number. This is the same company thru which I got GC.
4. Would the lawyer send me the original letter of approval? Is it a must. Because I got my approval with the courtesy copy which the INS had taken from me at the time of approval.
5. Do I have to do anything else to get the original GC plastic card. or it would just come after approval after certain time. i.e no more additinal paper work from my side.

Thanks
Ravi

No Title

Yeah it is better to update the SSN, and also I would wait until I get the plastic card to change jobs. that too wait for few months after getting the plastic.

No Title

Ravi, How was your stamping experience at SFO? I am planning to go tomorrow.

I got the original Approval notice from lawyer. I think you will also get it.

-WhereIsGc

No Title

Hi guys, when you said "update SSN", what does it mean? I did my
PP on 6/2/01, what else do I need to do after that? Thanks!

No Title

Go SS office tell them that your status was changed and make them change your status(from H1b to GC) in their records. After 10 days you will receive the new SS card with same number.You need to update your status in your work also.

longman

No Title

That was real cool. Go anytime. May be around 9AM. No queue at all. You\'d be out after an hour. You can take pictures in a studio just opposite to the INS. I just went with coutesy approval copy only.

Ravi

No Title

> 1. Can I change job immediately.

No, 6 months is recommended by laywers and gurus here.

> 2. Do I have to update my SSN status in SSN office

No, but it is recommended.

> 3. Do I have to intimate my employer with any Alien number. This is the same company thru which I got GC.

No, but it is recommended.

> 4. Would the lawyer send me the original letter of approval? Is it a must. Because I got my approval with the courtesy
  copy which the INS had taken from me at the time of approval.

Yes

> 5. Do I have to do anything else to get the original GC plastic card. or it would just come after approval after certain
  time. i.e no more additinal paper work from my side.

file i90(?) form if you wait longer than 6 months after PP stamping.

i am not an expert either

No Title

Mat, May be it will help you. My approval notice says LA but I went to Westminister and got my stamping last week.

No Title

Why should I wait for 6 months to change. If I get a good job, my company(contracting company) wont object. So what\'s wrong if I change jobs? Would it create problem ? what sort of?
If I understand rightly, getting stamp means one can change job without any problem. I got it stamped last week So If I change job after a month, is that fine?

Thanks
Ravi

No Title

There is no solid rule about how soon you can switch job after 485 approval. But if you switch too soon, you are apparently subject to fraud accusation.