please advise about starting a business in TN, usa.

antychimera

Registered Users (C)
hi,

i was wondering that whether its possible for someone who is a non-us-citizen to start his own business in TN, usa. he's a student doing his PHD in univ of memphis. he has work permit now. and he has applied for PR. but he hasnt got that yet. he's from bangladesh.

however, he had been doing business with one of his american friend in TN. its an online site that sells calling card. they formed a LLC and registered the company under his american friends name.

i am his student back here in bangladesh. i have suggested him about an online business for which i have been working for last 5 years from bangladesh for NY based company's liaison office here in dhaka. is it possible for him to start and register his own business under his name? what should he select? LLC / inc / c or S corp or DBA??

i want to be his partner. how can i become a legal partner of his company though i am not even residing in USA or have least chance to visit usa. may be once or twice in a year for training the employees. have never been to usa though.

someone from nameyourbusiness.com told me that yes, i can be the partner of my teacher by applying for some ITIN from IRS which is equivalent to SSN and used for paying tax. this way i can be the partner of the llc company even though i might never need to come usa, and she also told me that as my teacher has SSN and a valid work permit so he wouldnt face any problem starting his own business.

it will be an online business. initially home based. but later we will rent a warehouse. we will be selling server accessories online. will accept paymenmt online as well. i know we will need registration / resellers permit / tax id. but i dont know hwat else do we need. we may hire a couple of people within next 12 months.

so here are my questions again:

1. can my teacher, who is a pHD student (has a work permit / SSN but no green card) can start his own business?
2. can i become his partner or shareholder of the company, though i am a citizen of bangladesh and i never been to USA.
3. which should be our best option? LLC / INC / c/s corp or DBA?
4. which certificates or license do we need beside registration / tax id / resellers permit ?

thanks in advance