Please advice - Need to apply for my mothers CG

GreenPatta

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

Can someone please tell me what steps and forms one needs to follow to apply for a GC. My mother frequently visits the US on Visitors visa but now I would like to sponser her CG.

I have read that I-130 needs to be filled. Can I-485 be applied at the same time ?

I live in NJ

Any advice in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You can file an I 130 & I 485 and its supplement papers together.
Are you a USC??

The petition I 130 is an immigrant petition submitted by the petitioner for the alien relative. I 485 is the Adjustment of Status paperwork the alien relative must submit in order to adjust their status from Non Immigrant to Immigrant.

Hope that helps and good luck

Are you sure I can apply for I-130 and I-485 at the same time ?

My mother is currently visiting on Tourist visa and is returning home next month.

I believe I-485 can be filled if the alien relative is presently legally in the US. But does a tourist visa qualify her to apply for I-485 along with the I-130 ? Please advice.

Re: Are you sure I can apply for I-130 and I-485 at the same time ?

Your mother can apply for adjustment of status while in the US if she is legally in the country. (by that i mean she has a valid I 94)
Does her I 94 expire next month or does she want to go back next month??

Secondly are you a US Citizen or are you a P.R??
The reason I ask you that is Relatives of US Citizens have an immigrant visa available for them i.e. the priority date is current where as a P.R.'s relative has to wait for approx 4-5 years to get an immigrant visa.

As far as your mother files for adjustment of status (being the parents of a USC) before her I 94 expires she is in status even after her I 94 expires but that is not the case with P.R.s

Another thing being that if you file for AOS via the consular processing. Your mother cannot enter the U.S on any other visa till her I 485 is adjudicated.

I hope this helps and do consult an attorney.