Plastic card recived. POE LAX. World Travelers: how does having GC effect travel visa

thedutt

Registered Users (C)
POE: LAX
DOE: 12/02/02
Plastic Card: 01/21/03

How does having green card effect our status w.r.t. visa requirements on travelling to other countries?
More specifically:

DO we need a visa to go to
-Canada
-Mexico
-South America
-Carebean Countries
-Europe
-New Zealand
-Austrailia

I know a lot of commonwealth countries do not require travel visas, but want to see how having a green card effects visa requirements from some of the other countries. Please post your experiences.
Thank you in advance.

As far as I know, only 2 countries allow US LPRs to enter without visas. They are Canada and Switzerland. Singapore allows visa free travel for upto 72 hours for GC holder citizens of some countries ( India included)

All other European countries/South American countries probably require visas.

Remember that visa requirement is based on your country of CITIZENSHIP, and is reciprocal, If your country allows visa free entry for citizens of another country, then you do not need a visa to that country. Canada and Switzerland are exceptions to this rule, I think. Moreover, GC holders can enter Canada without visa ONLY from US.

As far as I know India does NOT have visa free arrangements with any country (except nepal and bhutan)

I think you need to be careful of assuming that your green card status gives you rights any where near the status of a US passport. Your country passport will continue to set the rules for your entry. Canada is fine only if you enter through US. Australia is a definite no, and singapore only allows a transit visa on arrival. But the point is that these rules change frequently and mexico withdrew no visa travel for green card holders of many countries after 9/11, but I think they lifted the ban later, for some countries including India. But one needs to check prior to visit.

Thanks for your replies guys. I completely understand that GC is no were equivalent to citizenship and just wanted to get an idea from ya'll if some countries treat it differently (Like Swiz & Canada) The last time i was going through Amperstand, they would give GC holders visa at the airport and no visa to H1 holders.
Also , a lot of commonwealth islands do not require visas for people with indian passport (for short travel anyhoo) I know the following dont'
1) Jamica
2) Bermuda

Thanks!