Planning to apply for Citizenship. Need help..!

tvklovesu

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I am GC holder, I got my GC in 2000 sep. I returned back to my country (India) in 2000 Oct for continuing my studies with the help of Re-Entry permit. After completing my studies I came back to USA in 2003 Jan 15th which is almost 2 yrs 3 months. I wonder when I will be applicable to apply for Citizen ship.

In the USCIS web site I saw an example which is given in Naturalization guide as below. Based on the example below I calculated for 4 yrs 1 day where I should be applicable to aply by Jan 2007 16th. So any body who are proffessionals in this perticular case think Can I apply now. Is it valid thing or not.

“Continuous Residence” Example
• An applicant became a Permanent Resident on January 1, 1994.
• She lived in the United States for 3 years, then returned to her native country for 1 year and 3
months.
• She got a Re-entry Permit before leaving the United States so that she could keep her Permanent
Resident status.
• The applicant re-entered the United States with Permanent Resident status on April 1, 1998.

Question: When is the applicant eligible for naturalization?

Answer: On April 2, 2002, 4 years and 1 day after she returned to the United States. The last 364 days the applicant was out of the United States count toward her time as a Permanent Resident in “continuous residence,” but the 3 years in the United States before leaving do not count.

Thanks in advance

You should be able to apply for Citizenship now...as long as you meet the continuous residence clause.

happigal said:
You should be able to apply for Citizenship now...as long as you meet the continuous residence clause.

Thanks for your reply, I do have another quewstion that

I got married to a L1b girl in Aug 2006. Right now she is residing with me in USA. Do I nee to mention that in my N-400 application. Bcz after i got citizenship I am planning to apply for her as my Dependent. Do you have any idea how to do this.

Thanks

tvklovesu said:
Thanks for your reply, I do have another quewstion that

I got married to a L1b girl in Aug 2006. Right now she is residing with me in USA. Do I nee to mention that in my N-400 application. Bcz after i got citizenship I am planning to apply for her as my Dependent. Do you have any idea how to do this.

Thanks

Two things:
1. As well as continuous residence, you also need to meet the 30 month physical presence requirement.

2. Yes you must include your spouse and her immigration status in your N-400 application form. Its not a big deal, and has no impact on her status, but the appropriate boxes must nevertheless be completed fully (including any prior marriages/divorces).

For taking advantage of 4 year, 1 day rule you have to return back to the U.S. within 2 years (mentioned on page 22 of Naturalization guide). Seems like you took 2 years and 3 months, which means that you might have to wait 5 years before you can apply

Anami said:
For taking advantage of 4 year, 1 day rule you have to return back to the U.S. within 2 years (mentioned on page 22 of Naturalization guide). Seems like you took 2 years and 3 months, which means that you might have to wait 5 years before you can apply

8 CFR 316.5 makes no mention of an upper limit to the time out of country. My suspicion is that a Reentry Permit is normally only valid for a period of two years, so maybe thats why the natz guide says what it does.

I would be tempted to go ahead and apply now. Worst case, you are out $400 and have to wait another year.