PIO or OCI-- Which one I should apply for my newborn in USA?

vipsinghal

Hello Friends,
Me & My Wife are Indian and
I am in USA on H1 VISA and my Wife is on H4 Dependent VISA.
We are blessed with a baby boy here in USA.

I got his birth certificate & SSN and will be getting his USA Passport soon.
then I will need to apply for his PIO / OCI.

Can you please suggest me which one i should apply.
I read some article on PIO vs OCI, but could not get much information.

Please suggest.
Thanks
Vipin

The newborn is only eligible for PIO since the parents are still Indian citizens.

Hi all, Currently my wife is pregnant and she is due in very soon; we both are Indian citizens [H1 and H4 status]. But my wife's grand parents are Sri Lankans whereas my grand parents are Indians. I would like to know whether there will be any issue when i apply for PIO for my child? we need your inputs on this please provide your valuable inputs...

Child born in US to Indian citizens can get PIO. Grandparents' citizenship does not matter in this case.

Child born in US to Indian citizens can get PIO. Grandparents' citizenship does not matter in this case.

Thank you, but the requirement says; "You may be ineligible to apply for a PIO card if you, your spouse, parents, grandparents or great grandparents have ever held citizenship of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, Iran, Nepal, Pakistan or Sri Lanka"

SO please let us know what dose it mean? how to handle this?

The rules for PIO seem to disqualify your soon to be born child. However my understanding is that the person from whom the child is deriving the eligiblity for PIO should not have held citizenship of these specific countries. In your case, since you the parents are Indian citizens (and presumably Indian born), only you are required to meet the "not a citizen of these countries" requirement.

The application for PIO does not ask for citizenships of grand parents or great grandparents.

See the PIO application form :https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/pdf/PIO_Application_SF.pdf

The rules for PIO seem to disqualify your soon to be born child. However my understanding is that the person from whom the child is deriving the eligiblity for PIO should not have held citizenship of these specific countries. In your case, since you the parents are Indian citizens (and presumably Indian born), only you are required to meet the "not a citizen of these countries" requirement.

The application for PIO does not ask for citizenships of grand parents or great grandparents.

See the PIO application form :https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/pdf/PIO_Application_SF.pdf

If I get US passport and applied for PIO and in case it got rejected, what should be the remedy to take my child with me to India? Because I cant apply for Indian passport for my child if he have US passport, so we are not sure what should be our step on this, I kindly need your inputs

PS: We both are Indian Citizen by birth

I don't see how they will reject the application without knowing that the child's great grandparents are from Sri Lanka since the application form doesn't ask for this information.

For a visit to India you can get a visitor visa for the child instead of PIO.