PIO/OCI/VISA - Urgent Help Needed

givemebreak786

I have to urgently R2I within one month. I applied for expedited US passport today.

Now after getting US passport, should I go for Visa or PIO/OCI?
I am taking company transfer so I have to work in India.

OCI - ruled out because it takes 3 months time.

PIO - may or may get it on time.

My question is:
Can I give my friend address for PIO and should I go ahead travel on Indian Visa?
Later he will send the PIO card to me.
is this legal? can I do this? any suggestions or pointers greatly appreciated.

At NYCGI, it is taking less than a month, My application Timeline:
========================
Application Received 03-AUG-2006
Date Of Acknowledgment 08-AUG-2006
Registration Status Granted On 13-AUG-2006
Photo/Signature Scanned On 13-AUG-2006
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 14-AUG-2006
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 17-AUG-2006
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI On 22-AUG-2006
=========================

If you feel that OCI/POI takes more time, take 6 months visitor visa and you can even apply OCI in India. That way you don't have to worry.

If you apply here in USA and leave India, you may have to send original US passport to USA to get OCI stamped. I think this is kind of more headache...

Look for easy and smooth way....

Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply.
I can take Indian Visa and Go India and apply for OCI. But, only concern is I have to start work within 2 weeks.

If OCI gets delayed, I have sit at home waiting for my OCI approval.
am i right ?

Because you don't have enough time, I 'd suggest you to apply OCI later either in USA or in India. You should get OCI within 3 months and I think you don't worry about it for now.

IBUSC said:
Because you don't have enough time, I 'd suggest you to apply OCI later either in USA or in India. You should get OCI within 3 months and I think you don't worry about it for now.

absolutely agree.

Just take a 6 month visa or longer depending on how long you are going to stay there and thereafter when you come back you can apply for OCI.