physical presence

harsha_c

Registered Users (C)
Hi all

I have already done 1 year of my physical presence in US after getting Green card. However I was away from the country for an year and just got back. I might have lost my continuous presence clock and was wondering if I need to do 2 1/2 years more for physical presence or just 1 1/2 year more for the citizenship.

Thanks
Harsha

If you didn't have an approved N-470 (or otherwise qualify for preserving residence because you were in the US military or something like that), you now have to do 4 years + 1 day of residence, with 2.5 years of physical presence.

Jackolantern is correct.

Physical presence and Continuous residence are two separate requirements for naturalization.

Assuming you are applying based on 5 year residency, you need to accrue a minimum of 30 months physical presence during your 5 years continuous residence. If you interrupt the continuous residence (i.e. one or more trips over 6 months without an N-470), you can probably invoke the 4yr+1day rule, meaning that you become eligible to file N-400 4 years + 1 day from the day of your return to the US.

clarification

Does this mean I need to accumulate 2 1/2 years of physical presence now in the next 4 years 1 month? I guess all my past physical presence wont count any more right?

thanks
Harsha

Does this mean I need to accumulate 2 1/2 years of physical presence now in the next 4 years 1 month? I guess all my past physical presence wont count any more right?

thanks
Harsha

Physical Presence is accumulated based on a rolling window. For a standard 5yr application, you need to have 900 days (30 months) physical presence during the immediate 5yr window at the time of submitting the N-400, and also again at the time of interview and oath. If you application takes a long time to process, you need to make sure you have accrued sufficient time to ensure you don't inadvertently stray outside the 900 day window.

Exactly. The 2.5 years physical presence must be done in the 5-year block immediately prior to applying for citizenship. At 4 years and 1 day after returning permanently to the US, if you then look back 5 years you will find that the first year of that 5-year block was spent outside the US. So the 2.5 years of presence must be accumulated within the 4 years after you returned.