Photo Copy on N400 Certificate

sweetnat

Registered Users (C)
Please let know if we can photocopy the N400 Certicficate of Natrualization.On the certificate they say not to copy.

I need to apply N600 for my daughter. Do I need to send the orginal copy or the photo copy.
Answer are apperciated.

Yes, you can take photocopies for your own safekeeping.

For N600 you just send a photocopy, not the original.

:eek:
I was just trying to sound confident and authoritative in my answer :D

Wrong answers when given with authority doesn't make them right. Stay away from providing answers for issues not familiar with. :(

You need to send the original and the immigration will return it to you. Don't make too many copies, a single copy is sufficient, and if you send a copy to USCIS, then they might visit you for an ice cream celebration...:eek:

Please let know if we can photocopy the N400 Certicficate of Natrualization.On the certificate they say not to copy.

I need to apply N600 for my daughter. Do I need to send the orginal copy or the photo copy.
Answer are apperciated.

If you have obtained a US passport for your daughter, that is all she needs to prove US citizenship. If you need additional backup citizenship document, apply for a US passport card which only costs $35 for a child. There is no legal requirement to obtain a certificate of citizenship, the certificate has no better value than a US passport and it costs $460.
USCIS recommends getting a US passport for children deriving US citizenship from naturalized parents. Please check this quote from "A guide to Naturalization" page 14:

"..If you and your child meet all of these requirements, you may obtain a U.S. passport for the child as evidence of citizenship. If the child needs further evidence of citizenship, you may submit an “Application for Certificate of Citizenship” (Form N-600) to USCIS to obtain a Certificate of Citizenship."

USCIS itself does not recognize a certificate of citizenship as a valid proof of US citizenship for employment purposes. (See document requirements for I-9, employment eligibility verification)

copy

Answer are apperciated.

As a US citizen, I sponsored my wife for her green card, all these has been
done by lawyer, so he said to me that for immigration purposes one can
make a photocopy of Naturalization Certificate, and he sent to USCIS photocopy of my Naturalization Certificate. (immigration officer
asked for original during the interview, I had it with me, so there
was no problems).

There was no problem because the USCIS has never enforced the copy right law. It is the same as sending in AR-11.

There was no problem because the USCIS has never enforced the copy right law.
So, you mean that a certificate's owner does not have a legal authority to copy his/her certificate? At our Oath ceremony, the USCIS representative explicitly told us that we can make photocopies for personal needs. Since a lot of people on this forum are sure that it is not allowed, I would like to ask them where they drew their conclusions from?

In addition, when you change name in DMV and SSA, they make copies of both the certificate and name change court order that comes with it.

Why USCIS then does not give the written letter telling to copy etc., at the ceremony?

:eek:

Wrong answers when given with authority doesn't make them right. Stay away from providing answers for issues not familiar with. :(

You need to send the original and the immigration will return it to you. Don't make too many copies, a single copy is sufficient, and if you send a copy to USCIS, then they might visit you for an ice cream celebration...:eek:

What are you talking about? I guess you are confusing passport with N-600. N-600 requires photocopies. USCIS would not ask you to do a photocopy if it were illegal. When I posted my reply about wanting to sound authoritative I was just trying to be funny. My first reply to the original post was correct in my view, not only authoritative but right.

Here is a little excerpt from the N-600 instructions:
"Do not send an original Certificate of Citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization. USCIS may request that your present original documents at the interview"

Last edited by a moderator:
Then we have those few places like the Texas driver license agency that refuses to accept a passport as proof of citizenship and requires a certificate of naturalization or citizenship. It's true that for most intents and purposes the passports are proof enough of citizenship and should be obtained first or at the same time of a certificate of citizenship. However, the N-600 creates a permanent record of citizenship that any agency can check to make sure when that person became a citizen. This might be very important if in the future a person has kids born abroad and want to demonstrate at what time that person became a citizen. The passport doesn't have this kind of proof. I would still recommend people to apply for N-600 for their children for the extra peace of mind and the added benefit of a record of citizenship at USCIS if the citizenship is ever put in question in the future.

If you have obtained a US passport for your daughter, that is all she needs to prove US citizenship. If you need additional backup citizenship document, apply for a US passport card which only costs $35 for a child. There is no legal requirement to obtain a certificate of citizenship, the certificate has no better value than a US passport and it costs $460.
USCIS recommends getting a US passport for children deriving US citizenship from naturalized parents. Please check this quote from "A guide to Naturalization" page 14:

"..If you and your child meet all of these requirements, you may obtain a U.S. passport for the child as evidence of citizenship. If the child needs further evidence of citizenship, you may submit an “Application for Certificate of Citizenship” (Form N-600) to USCIS to obtain a Certificate of Citizenship."

USCIS itself does not recognize a certificate of citizenship as a valid proof of US citizenship for employment purposes. (See document requirements for I-9, employment eligibility verification)

Why USCIS then does not give the written letter telling to copy etc., at the ceremony?
You think that the USCIS should give a letter that permits you to cope your certificate? Oral permission from the USCIS official is not enough? It's much easier to ask the IO at the ceremony about it than later mislead people on immigration forums, don't you think?

Then we have those few places like the Texas driver license agency that refuses to accept a passport as proof of citizenship and requires a certificate of naturalization or citizenship. It's true that for most intents and purposes the passports are proof enough of citizenship and should be obtained first or at the same time of a certificate of citizenship. However, the N-600 creates a permanent record of citizenship that any agency can check to make sure when that person became a citizen. This might be very important if in the future a person has kids born abroad and want to demonstrate at what time that person became a citizen. The passport doesn't have this kind of proof. I would still recommend people to apply for N-600 for their children for the extra peace of mind and the added benefit of a record of citizenship at USCIS if the citizenship is ever put in question in the future.

I expect the date of issue of a passport would be acceptable proof of the date of the beginning citizenship, you can retain all expired passports.
Sadly the Texas DMV appears to be a law unto itself. God bless the lone star state!

McTavish,

It would be an approximate date, as my first US passport was issued several weeks after my naturalization ;) I know that most people might go through life with never needing a certificate, but there are a few occasions in which having a certificate might save some time and trouble. There was a post from somebody a few months ago that needed a certificate to get a badge from the New York Port Authority. As a parent I feel better knowing that my child has that extra proof of citizenship and the permanent record of citizenship in USCIS. Again, the certificate of citizenship is optional. I'm just trying to give my opinion on what would be the benefits of having one.

You think that the USCIS should give a letter that permits you to cope your certificate? Oral permission from the USCIS official is not enough? It's much easier to ask the IO at the ceremony about it than later mislead people on immigration forums, don't you think?

No I do not think so. I think it is shame on Obama he has no balls to write it in his letter to new Americans. That it is the law that his attorneys won't persecute.

Thanks

Thanks for all the reply to my question...It is good to get the N600 certificate it is one headache else. I think peace of mind is more important than the money it cost. I think Huracan is right. Thanks once again GUYS/GALS.

Texas says they would take passports http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/identificationrequirements.htm

The record creates at SSA. They take passports too.

Last edited by a moderator:
acr,

I think the link that you posted is a bit of old news. There is an ongoing battle about Texas DPS not accepting US passport if the place of birth is outside the US. Check some of the comments on this article, in particular the one about needing to pay $460 for a certificate. I know that there are legal challenges and an injunction, but the fact remains that for a while it was less hassle if you had a certificate.

SSA accepts passports, that's right.