PhD in Pharmacognosy. Are there opportunities in US ?

Marie

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

My friend considers whether to do her PhD in Pharmacognosy in Germany. She wants to come and work here in the USA. Are there good opportunities for
foreign PhD ? Or do the local companies/universities prefer locally trained scientists ?
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated !

Reality is such:

1. In USA, pharmacognosy is an obsolete major for long times. No Pharmacy school teach that subject anymore. Some university may have this but in different name (branch of medicianl chemistry) with few opportunity.
2. Job: Absoulutely no job for pharmacognosy unless your freind is some kind of geneious or invent some chemicals which has a patent value in US.
3. Best subject is Ph.D in pharmaceutics. They are the king in the pharmaceutical field in USA. Again if it is a foreign degree, a minimum chance to get H-1B sponsorship in USA. If your friend wants to work in US, she must have to get a MS or Ph.D in US no matter how experienced or educated from outside.

These are the reality. I had gone through this nightmare. By the way nowdays its even getting tough to manage a job even if you finish your degree here.

This is the reality

Although I agree with habib that pharmacognosy is an obsolete major for long times yet there are numerous opportunities available in US. Medicinal Chemistry banner is definitely a plus.

Who says that there are no jobs in pharmacognosy. If you have PhD from any part of the world along with atleast two research papers published at refreed international journal, it is very easy to get post doctoral fellowship in states IF your research experiences are excellent and you shows to the concerned mentor that you can contribute something new.

Again I donot agree with habib. PhD (Pharmaceutics) are not the kings. Time is changed.

Habib has posted immature replies to your questions. It does not mean that if one person failed in life will lead to failure of others too. I think you should think positively and take all necessary initiatives in order to fulfill your interests. If you have interests, motivation, zeal, power to contribute something in pharmacognosy believe me no body can stop you. Again jobs are abundant and I am successful in doing so many things here.

Here is our preety lady jeniffer again!!!

You start your crap again!! shameless female. Pepole take a look her email, anything I say, she is against me. I dont know why??? I have right to give any advice I want in this site. Pepole will decide whether they will take it reject it. No body says anything against my advice. I think jeniffer is a looser in life. I didnt drag her out in this discussion, she came here and start obnoxous smell in this site.

Any opinions are welcome !

Thank you Habib and Jennifer for your comments. I\'ve got some useful tips.
No need to get into a fight and confrontation. It\'s always useful to get opinions from people looking at things from different angles. And I am sure, both of you have valid reasons to feel they way you feel.

I appreciate any advice and if you have good or bad experiences to share, please do.

Thank you marie to be reasonable.

I dont think I gave you a immature advice regarding the prospects of american pharmaceutical jobs. I had masters degree and worked 5 years in a pharmaceutical company in east asia and when I applied for job in US based company, they declined my experiennces and educations. They asked me how far I am from my graduation of my US masters? All they care about is the american degree and american experiences. I only got offer when I finished my education here in USA. Yes you could get a post doc opportunity, thats all. After post doc you may not get a job. Infact who doesnt get any job do post doc in USA. Most of the Ph.D in Pharmaceutics get job as quickly as possible and company do sponsor them (H-1B). So tell you friend if she could change her major in pharmaceutics insted of pharmacognosy. There is no such subject in USA anymore.

Pharmacognosy

Dear Marie:

Please note that there is a prevailing Scope in USA:
Pharmacognosy + Phytochemistry + Medicinal Chemistry + Herbal Drugs and Cosmetics

Favorable Project in Pharmacognosy should be comprised of:
Synthesis of active agent from medicinal plant
Structural Activity Relationship
Formulation Development of that active drug
Analysis
In vitro-In vivo studies

and then see the magic. You will be all rounder and demanding too. I have seen many peoples who did PhD in Pharmacognosy and they are successful. Definitely scope is there. Success may not come to you right away. Research takes time. But if you have strong interests in pharmacognosy, you should go ahead taking in to consideration aforementioned facts.

Jennifer gave you wrong information

What jenifer says she saw lots of ppl who has pharmacognosy major and did research work in USA is wrong. She has no idea about US pharma industry. Ask her if she is working any US pharmaceutical company ever her life. I am working and I know the reality. So dont trust this arrogant lady. can she present a single Ph.d in pharmacognosy in USA?? May be in Canada (the place she coming from) she can present some example. Canada is still running British/ european system of education.

Here are some proof of her wrong messages.

1. Synthesis of active agent from medicinal plant and Structural Activity Relationship are done by organo-physical chemist in USA.

2. Formulation Development of that active drug
Analysis are done by pharmaceutics professionals in USA

3. In vitro-In vivo studies are done by CRA (clinical research associates which are most likely RN, or RPH)

So its jennifer who is spreading immature, misleading informations in this side. But marry, its your responsibilty to choose who right or who wrong.

Habib is misleading many peoples including me on this forum

Habib is not aware of how to do PhD since he has not done it. He is only master\'s degree holder. Doing PhD means learning new techniques and contributing something new via research. An individual can only generate new findings by exploring various techniques in multi directional areas. By the way I am US citizen and working in US. Habib is misleading many peoples on this forum. Here is the proof:

(1). Synthesis of active agent from medicinal plant and Structural Activity Relationship are not done by organo-physical chemist in USA but by individual responsible for developing that compound. He/She may be pharmacognostic person.

(2). Analysis is not done by pharmaceutics professionals in USA as claimed by Habib. Its done by Chemical Engineer or Scientists with medicinal or phyto or pharmacognosy professionals depending on the nature of formulation specially herbals.

(3).In vitro-In vivo studies are not done by CRA (clinical research associates which are most likely RN, or RPH) as claimed by Habib. CRAs are responsible for monitoring clinical trials only.

In vitro means laboratory evaluation e.g dissolution test in case of tablets and In vivo means animal studies.

Habib should think that doing PhD is altogether different than doing a job. How can he understand this fact?

how much education do you have liar the Jennifer Rosevalt.

So far I know you are still a pharm.d student. whta the hell are you doing here. Get off this site and stop bitching. One day you told me a bastrad.. now i am saying you are bitch. Do you know your fathers name? Is your mother and father legitimately married or just boy friend and girl friend?

You are the liar habiburahman--donot cry now on this forum

Previously also you have written abusive language for me. NOW I MUST SAY AND EVERYBODY MUST BELIEVE THAT YOU ARE A BASTARD. BY THE WAY DO YOU KNOW WHO YOUR REAL FATHER AND MOTHER IS. For your information I am not doing Pharm.D. I already have PhD. And I am very well settled in states. What is your legitimacy just.....everybody knows what kind of background the name habib carries. You are the same person who used to send me emails and asking for favor, everybody should understand the meaning of favor. I know who you are. AND NOW ONWARDS MIND YOUR LANGUAGE HABIB OTHERWISE I KNOW HOW TO HANDLE PERSON LIKE YOU.

At Habib and Jennifer...
i think u people are not interested in pharmacy at all....u people have made me to register here....
Mr.Habib...if u r a pharmacy student then u can not spread rumors regarding any of the branch of pharmacy whether u like it or not..and as far as research is concerned Pharmacognosy is the best way to create safe and new chemical moiety. Its sufficient for you to understand the difference between a Man made things and natural things and offcourse Pharmaceutics and Pharmacognosy respectively.

Jennifer :
Plz. do not mingle with a person who even don't know the importance of basis Pharmacy....the herbs.....and pharmacognosy...

Enjoy Pharmacy Love Pharmacy....Do not make it a Battle field on the name of branches !!!

Synthesis of active agent from medicinal plant and Structural Activity Relationship are not done by organo-physical chemist in USA but by individual responsible for developing that compound. He/She may be pharmacognostic person.

GEC provides real time updated information on the various universities and admission procedures for Countries like USA, UK, Singapore courses and so on.

We also offer coaching for examinations like CAT / CET / SNAP / NMAT / MAT & GRE / GMAT / TOEFL / SAT / IELTS.

Every academic destination, like USA, Australia, and UK, has its own demands to be fulfilled in order to secure admission in the right University. Keeping this in mind we also provide students with necessary Admissions Counseling which includes the following:

 Psychometric Assessment
 Counselling Session
 School Selection
 Preparing Application Packet
 Visa Counselling
 Pre-departure Seminar

So get ready, GET Started with the procedures Right away…

For further information contact:
Global Education Counsel:
[a division of Growth Centre (I) Pvt. Ltd.]
5th Floor, Gagangiri Complex,
18th Road, Chembur, Mumbai – 400071
Chembur: (022) 32516857/ 2528 5657 / 2528 7474
Pune: (020) 64000143 /25456179 / 25455184
Email :
Pune: info_pune@globaleducationcounsel.org
Mumbai: info_mumbai@globaleducationcounsel.org