Petitioning for a child below 21

Nbiol

I am a single parent with a child out of wedlock. I married and now living in the US. I am already a US citizen. I would like to petition for my child. My issue is the financial requirements of support. I worked in 2017 and did not work in 2018. I worked again in 2019 and up to today.

The problem is I did not file any taxes for 2018 because of no work. My husband then was sent to jail for something he did. 2018 was a depressing year for me. Is my not having any tax return for 2018 an issue for petitioning my child?

Need help please.

Not filing a tax return for a given year is not a problem as long as your income that year was below the threshold for needing to file a tax return (this can be found on that year's Form 1040 instructions section called "Do You Have to File?"). On your I-864 Part 6 #24 line for that year you would put "N/A" for the total income, you would check the box in Part 6 #25, and you would attach a statement stating your income that year and that it was below the level for being required to file.

thank you for the reply I did not really work in 2018 and I was worried I could not petition for my son. I was given very different information.