Petition

shamshon

Registered Users (C)
I have noticed that there are petitions in this web site that are so informative especially the one about family unity. I decided to write a petition so that we can get as many signatures as we can. I tried to adopt the same style with which these petitions were written and will approach Mr Khanna to publish this petition in the main window but i hope to get feedback from all of you before finalizing it. I hope that Gilbert, with his experience, helps me with that too. Here is what i wrote so far

PETITION
Increase of the 10,000 cap on visas issued to asylees
Dear Sir,
We are writing on behalf of individuals, who have signed the attached petition, and countless others affected by the interminable delays facing those who have applied, or in the process of applying, for permanent residency based on their granted asylum. Every day this issue is ignored is one more day for these individuals to lose their feelings of security and safety.
Disproportionate Waiting Times Unjust
The reality of present immigration law is that individuals who have been granted political asylum would have to wait at least 10 years to obtain their green cards. The system puts asylees (i.e. those who were granted political asylum) at an extreme disadvantage compared to other immigrants. For example, if an individual marries an American citizen or applies for an employment-based green card, he/she will wait no longer than 2 years to obtain his/her green cards. As asylees wait for 10 years, they lose their opportunity to become American citizens and are constantly reminded that they do not enjoy full residency at the US.

The 10, 000 cap on visa issuance for asylees
The current immigration law requires that asylees are issued no more than 10, 000 immigrant visas every year. Currently, there are more than 100,000 asylees that have already applied for permanent residency. According to the current law, it will take approximately 10 years for asylees who apply today for permanent residency to be approved. This ten-year wait period before which the applicant becomes eligible for permanent residency is both unreasonable and too restrictive. Currently, the BCIS is processing applications for permanent residency that have been submitted on or before February 1999, and thus the current waiting period is four years. If this law does not change, and if the 10, 000 cap is not lifted the waiting period will jump from four years to 10 years.

Harm Resulting From Such Harsh Restrictions:
Asylees have been uprooted from their homes and have experienced so much agony and pain before coming here. They came to America hoping to start a new life and find safety and security. Waiting 10 years to get a green card adds to their hard aches and causes them a deep sense of alienation and loss. This long waiting period is unjust since it disrupts many lives and reflects a deep sense of discrimination. In other countries such as Canada, Norway and Germany, asylees are granted permanent residency within a period of 3 years at most.

Increasing the 10, 000 caps on visa issuance for asylees is humane and long due.
The petitioners, and others like them, want to see the current 10,000 cap removed. Removing this cap will not only make it easier for asylees to get their permanent residency and thus feel safe about their future, but will help prevent immigration law violations. It would be inhumane not to lift these unnecessary restrictions that cause asylees to wait 10 years to belong to this great nation.
As it appears that the BCIS has not made any accommodation for this most compelling case, we submit the attached petition supporting the plight of asylees. Thank you for your attention to this most urgent matter

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good shamshon. Let us know about the final version so we can start one at

http://www.petitiononline.com/create_petition.html

I hope it will work this time. I tried something like this before and even opened a yahoo mail asyleepetition@yahoo.com (still active) and I have received only 2 e-mail responses ... embarrassing. You can send me a final version on the above email and I will start one at petitiononline or anyone of us can do that ... Let us know ...

Great job Shamson. We are 100% supporting this effort.
We will do everything posible to win our rights.

Thanks all,
I contacted Mr. Khanna and will wait for his response. He had posted many petitions before and got responses.

Originally posted by shamshon
Thanks all,
I contacted Mr. Khanna and will wait for his response. He had posted many petitions before and got responses.

Thanks you so much for your innovation shamshon,the past two days i`ve been moving.At the moment i do not have dsl which is being worked on my computer is too slow until then.

If it were possible to include those asylees who have not adjusted to LPR yet their applications are still pending with BCIS,to have time lost during the delays caused by BCIS,be credited towards their eligibility to file for citizenship.

for example if a person has been an asylee since 1993 and up to date he has not adjusted to LPR,that preson should be eligible to file for citizenship as soon as he becomes a PR.

If there is anybody who formulate it in a more convincing way,you are more than welcome to do so.

Once thankyou so much

Sessanga,
I think these folks need a separate petition since they have a stronger case the one I just proposed. We do not want to confuse the readers about those 2 different issues ( i.e. adjustment wait-time and asylum hearings wait-time). I will try to write a separate petition for these folks since their plight is actually worse than the plight of those who were granted asylum. Very great observation by the way :)