Pending with USCIS for 1618 days (for the interview)

t2024

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I wanted to see if there are other people in a similar situation.
I applied for a political asylum back in 2016 and still waiting for an interview date.

When I check case status online, I get this headline; Next Step is an Interview. It's been pending for 1618 days which is about 4.5 years.

I live in Los Angeles.

Is it normal to wait this long for an interview. I see people waiting for 2-3 years but 4.5 years! It's been too long!

Thanks

Applied back in June 2015(ZMI), still waiting for interview. Try to expedite your case or ask your local USCIS office to add your case on short notice list.

Applied back in June 2015(ZMI), still waiting for interview. Try to expedite your case or ask your local USCIS office to add your case on short notice list.
why havent you tried to expedite yours and how easy is it to do so? anyone care to share experiences

why havent you tried to expedite yours and how easy is it to do so? anyone care to share experiences
You may need a reason to expedite your case. I tried and they denied my request.
______________________________________________________________________________________
Here is some information copied from USCIS web site:
Applications for Asylum
Requests for expedited processing on asylum applications should be directed to the office with jurisdiction over the asylum application.
USCIS may consider an expedite request if it meets one or more of the following criteria:

• Severe financial loss to a company or person, provided that the need for urgent action is not the result of the petitioner’s or applicant’s failure to:
    1. File the benefit request or the expedite request in a reasonable time frame, or
    2. Respond to any requests for additional evidence in a reasonably timely manner;
  • Urgent humanitarian reasons;
  • Compelling U.S. government interests (such as urgent cases for the Department of Defense or DHS, or other public safety or national security interests); or
  • Clear USCIS error.

For more information, see USCIS Policy Manual, Volume 1, Part A, Public Services, Chapter 5, Requests to Expedite Applications or Petitions

Last edited:
Try to request from the house representative in your area to contact them and ask about your case. Usually this works. Its like your case now in a black hole or forgotten, once your representative asks about it they will have to pull up your file and respond to the representative. It might take few week until they call you for an interview. Again, this is not guaranteed, but it works most of the time.
Please let us know if any of the suggested methods here worked and expedited your interview.

lets keep this thread going for all who have waited upwards of 2.5 years for interview and once we get updates lets share please

I applied in 2017 -- 1167 days, as of now, no signs of interview. In the wake of pandemic, do you feel congressman or ombudsman can help?

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I wanted to see if there are other people in a similar situation.
I applied for a political asylum back in 2016 and still waiting for an interview date.

When I check case status online, I get this headline; Next Step is an Interview. It's been pending for 1618 days which is about 4.5 years.

I live in Los Angeles.

Is it normal to wait this long for an interview. I see people waiting for 2-3 years but 4.5 years! It's been too long!

Thanks
Sorry, this is brutal. I think that you need to try multiple approach. I think there is a thread for that here...

There are very few, more like rare cases, where people ask Congressman/senator to help with scheduling interviews. The normal practice is to ask for help from congressman/senator to force USCIS to finalize a case decision. I do not see you getting help that is useful from congressman. But you can still try. Here are some practical steps you can take:

1. If you have not already done it, submit the usual 'case outside normal processing times' report to USICS
2. If you have not already done it, schedule an infopass, show up at the USCIS office near you and inquire as to what is going with your case.
3. If you have not already done so, submit a case with USCIS ombudsman.
4. Do the usual stuff...call USCIS and ask to speak to level 2 officer.
5. Send a letter to your local asylum office, tell them issues with your case.

More like a kitched sink...

My comments from: https://forums.immigration.com/thre...uled-expedited-interview.341133/#post-2498693

My case is pending with LA Asylum office since Feb 2016, No interview has been scheduled yet. I live in Phoenix, Arizona so yes you are not the only one waiting for 4.5 years, I am in the same situation as you and by the my case status online has the same message as you which says that the next step is an interview but only GOD knows when the interview will be scheduled. I never tried to expedite but now i am thinking may be i should.

My case is pending with LA Asylum office since Feb 2016, No interview has been scheduled yet. I live in Phoenix, Arizona so yes you are not the only one waiting for 4.5 years, I am in the same situation as you and by the my case status online has the same message as you which says that the next step is an interview but only GOD knows when the interview will be scheduled. I never tried to expedite but now i am thinking may be i should.
if they are indeed working their way backwards and 2017 have no interviews, i wonder when 2016 would be called, its hugely frustrating and i feel your pain.Ask God for a great amount of patience,and lets know what happens if you seek for an expedited interview.